need algae schooling

banthonyb71

Reefing newb
ok. Im a newb here on the forum. you can check out my thread on "showcase your tank"(46 bow front build) to see where Im at in my newly cycled tank. Actually still cycling.

basically I have roughly 30 Ibs live rock and 30 Ibs of dry rock, a dozen or so hermit crabs, two peppermint shrimp and a clown fish. my LPS says before I can start adding more livestock or corals, I want to what until I start seeing corraline algae growth. He says this is a good indicator my tank is where it needs to be.

My question is this....how do you keep unwanted algae down while trying to grow corraline algae? Wont the clean up crew eat corraline too? Whats the diffrence in how they grow and what ways do I go about getting "wanted" algae to form and "unwanted" algae down. So far I now to use RO water.

Last edited:
Prolly shoulda waited to add your crabs and such until the cycle is done. The corraline isn't the same type of algae as the brown and green bubbly and hair stuff. You won't need to worry about the crabs and such eating the corraline. It's a hard calcium type algae.

When the corraline starts spreading is a good indicator your tank is maturing, however, you do need to look at other parameters. Get a good test kit and test your water for pH, Nitrates, Nitrites, and ammonia.

The bad algae grows from nitrates and phosphates being high. Also, expect a nice brown algae bloom near the end of your tank cycle. Everything will look like it has brown dirt on it. It will go away though and this normally happens

Control your Nitrates with regular water changes and macro algae.

+1 VA.
Bad algae is usually from high nitrates and pho, but it happens a lot in new tanks because there isn't much competing with it for nutrients, and your natural filtration hasn't caught up. To manage this semi-inevitable new algae, water changes, skimming, and keeping the bioload down (slow stocking and small feeding) will help. Already you're in danger with your current bioload, so I'd slow waaay down.

I think Yote taught me this one, if you want the corraline to spread, once it starts growing scrape it off - the little flakes will spread around the tank and seed more rocks.

+1 VA.
I think Yote taught me this one, if you want the corraline to spread, once it starts growing scrape it off - the little flakes will spread around the tank and seed more rocks.

Oooh. Nice. I may have to drop a random thank you onto you and Yote for that one.

Phophates are a form of nutrients in your tank.
I'd highly suggest you get a book on basic saltwater aquarium fishkeeping, it will give you a stronger background on the basic chemistry of your tank.

Water changes, clean-up crew, a refugium w/macroalgae, and less feeding keep your excess nutrients down.

There is to much free information online for me to go waste money on a book. I have learned alot in just three weeks. Just from reading articles and asking questions on forums as I just did. But thanks for the advice.

thank you

Last edited:
Parrotchute is right, the most common causes of phosphates are using tap water and overfeeding. Flake and pellet foods often contain preservatives that break down into phosphates, so you should feed frozen food if you can.

do you currently have a phosphate tests? That can help you determine what they are at. You can also look into a phosban reactor to remove phosphates from your water. Since your tank is so new, it's naturally going to go through several algae stages. Everyone else has you covered with the reduced feeding, slow livestock additions, water changes, etc.

Not sure if there was a misunderstanding but all my water has been tested and is stable. I was just curious to phosphate conditions for general knowledge. I am appreciative of all the tips as well.

Back