Need an id on this one

Budman2K

Reefing newb
I purchased a couple Flame Oysters last week and one had this thing on the side of its shell that I thought was a barnacle or something permanent. I was looking at the tank tonight and noticed it moved from the oyster and is now on a rock. It is moving slowly on the rock. I figured I would see if could get an id on it while I still know where it is, in case it is not reef friendly. Thanks in advance.

unknownho.jpg

unknowncrop.jpg

Last edited:
It's a keyhole limpet. For the most part they are safe unless you have sps corals. (small polyp stony) They have been known to eat the fleshy part of them so if you do have sps I would get rid of it. If you don't have sps it should not be a problem. They eat algae but if they get low on food keep an eye on it. Once it finds a spot it likes it will return to that spot when it gets done feeding during the night. So it should be easy to find if it becomes a problem. Hopes this helps.
Ryan

Thanks for the response, i did notice it does a great job cleaning the algae off the rock. The short time I was watching it, it has cleaned all evidence of algae from the rock. As of now I have no sps, just lps and soft corals.

I found something very similar to that just last night. Whitish, small scallop shaped shell anchored to something. Mine is the size of my pinky fingernail.

ahhh the keyhole limpets! something I am very familiar with :) those guys are GREAT at cleaning algae, in fact, probably one of the best critters you could get to take care of it... they typically are found in colder waters and can get to be HUUUUGGGEEEEE (i've had one at the AQ that was almost the size of an abalone). he'll tend to go to the same spot at night when hes done munching, thats what my baby one does :) nice catch!

Back