Need Feedback From Eveyone I trust...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
Ok Guys and gals... Like I said, I am intersted in replacing my 135 with a Nano, now that my recording studio is up and running... I am currently at an impass... I have two friends that are willing to sell me their nano's at a good price... The first is a 12 gallon Aquapod from Current with upgraded 96 watt 50/50 lighting for less than 100.00.... The other is a JEBO 30 gallon with stand for 200.00, I believe it had PC's as well... I was also in contact with a buddy today and he guarrenteed me a 24 gallon AquaPod with an current 150watt HQI fixture for 320.00... What do you all think... Any suggestions are appreciated... Thanks Chris...

Tough choices...do any of them come with anything other than lights & stand? any rocks, skimmer, etc. included with any of these choices?

I'd call it a 3 way tie.
I'd be inclined to go with 24 with HQI light,if the lights not in an enclosed hood.But then any other stuff that might come with em,could change my thinking.
Tough call.

There's not much difference in cost of operation with these nanos. The 24 is going to cost as much as the 12 when it comes to $$ for maintenance.

I'd do the one with the best lighting and skimmer. Those two items are the most important IMO. You can always change pumps or change the baffles around to make compartments. But the light and the skimmer will cost ya big $$ for good stuff. So, get those up front and modify or change the other, cheaper stuff as needed until you get it set up the way you like.

A 200g bucket of salt lasted me right at 6 months. Thats changing about 8g per week between 2 tanks. A 30g and a 5g. That same bucket of salt will get used up on the 90g tank just doing the initial cycle and the first couple water changes. :shock:

I like my 30g tank because I "made" it myself. I'm not a fan of the pre-made nanos. Each of them seams to have a severe shortcoming. One has a great skimmer and poor lighting. The other has great lights and NO skimmer at all. They cost plenty of money, but still have to be upgraded to REALLY get a nice system going.

Roll your own Ctimpson!!! Get a 30 long and a $200 T5 light. Slap a HOB refugium and a Backpak skimmer on it. Buy some rock on Craigslist or go in 50/50 with somebody. You can buy 40lb boxes of NICE rock from Foster Smith. 40lbs in a 30g tank would be just about right. $400 and a couple powerheads ............................. your reefin' again. :mrgreen:

Back