Need Help ASAP

Nanna

Reef Freak
Hi Folks, I'm in the process of filling my refugium, does the live rock, live sand and chaeto need to be in the same compartment or can the live rock be in one compartment and the sand and chaeto be in another. I need to make sure I "grow" as many pods as possible for my mandarin.

nope, but it might take quite a few months for the pods to get established down there. I do hope you dont have the mandarin already . . .

I've had the mandarin in my tank for about 1 month. The tank is almost a year old, I'm just now adding the fuge. In the last 2 months I have dosed my tank with pods 6 times. "Mandy" also eats frozen.

Oh good! Glad to hear that

When you are cleaning its easier to just stick in your hose and suck out what drops to the bottom im your fuge, than to deal with the sand. Plus the sand isnt going to do much for the filtration and the pods utilize the rocks more than the sand.

Like little fish said, its tough to clean sand. You need a pretty deep bed to get good benefits and if you stir it up you'll be releasing all the stuff it does trap. It happened to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, DSB is good for reducing nitrate because of anaerobic bacteria, but if you have chaeto, it should take care of that fine, at least mine does.

yep, but with the DSB you run the risk of crashing your tank if you disturb it and release all the toxins it has built up. Cheato is a much more efficient and safer route.

Back