Need help choosing fish for my 37 gallon tank

Captain Ron

Reefing newb
I need some advice for choosing fish for my 37 gallon tank.
I figure I can max out my tank with 4 small fish plus maybe 1 shrimp.

The tank is 16 weeks old. My current clown has been in the tank for over 8 weeks and appears to be totally happy and stress free. I've been feeding him once every two days alternating between pellets and Rod's food. I've been doing my 10% water changes every week (though I haven't tested the water lately, will do that before I add anything). I figure it is time for another fish.

From my limited research I am considering the following fish, and had some questions and would appreciate any advice:

My wife would like a firefish so that is probably in. I am assuming the color/type doesn't matter.

I am considering 1 of either (but not both) the orange spot goby or blue dot jaw fish:

Orange Spotted Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata)

Will this one stir substrate and topple rocks or is that only a diamond watchman goby that does that? Is there a way to tell the difference if I get the fish at an LFS instead of ordering off the internet?

Blue Spot Jawfish

My substrate is only 1.5 inches or so. I could add a pvc pipe for him, maybe I could add extra sand? (sounds like that could be trouble). I'm leaning toward not getting him but he looks pretty cool.

Also considering:

Bicolor Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor)

But I'm not sure I like the color based on the photos I have seen. Opinions?

Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)

I am worried that he may be too shy.

Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)

Not sure I want to add him. People seem to like him and recommend he be added last.

Any comments, opinions, order to add the fish, or any other fish I should consider instead?

Additional details:
Just in case people are wondering, I plan to add fish 1 at a time with at least a 4 to 8 week window between each addition. Also, I do not currently have any coral but will be slowly adding some at a future date.

Thanks.

-Capt.Ron

Last edited:
I think if you wanted a burrowing fish you should make sure that you put the rocks on the bottom glass instead of on the sand to reduce the risk of the rocks falling.

I think if you wanted a burrowing fish you should make sure that you put the rocks on the bottom glass instead of on the sand to reduce the risk of the rocks falling.

I think my post was misleading. I have glass bottom, then light diffuser panel (a.k.a. egg crate), then rocks stacked (nothing holding them together, just tried to get them real stable, but probably a couple of pounds of force could dislodge them), then I added the sand.

-Capt. Ron

I don't think a true burrowing fish is a good idea if you have the egg crate on the bottom.

And I love the bi-color blennies. Have you seen them in person? The color can be a bit different, and they're full of personality.

:twocents:
I don't think a true burrowing fish is a good idea if you have the egg crate on the bottom.

And I love the bi-color blennies. Have you seen them in person? The color can be a bit different, and they're full of personality.

Then I guess the blue jaw is out. I was nervous about bare rock on the bottom glass so I used egg crate. Is the orange spotted goby a true burrowing fish or do you think he is an okay choice?

I will try and see if any local fish stores have a bi-color blenny in stock and will take a look in person.

Nope, theyre just sifters, and damn good ones at that. I believe theyre also pistol govies, but maybe not. If so, get a pistol shrimp, too!

The basslet would be nice, I like them, but be wary if you add after the clown.

The wrasse could hold its own and would be great in there, as well as looking good. Check with Bryan for more info, but I do know they can be a little jumpy.

If you do get shrimp, the 2 main ones are Scarlet Skunks and the Blood Shrimp. The scarlets are much more active and friendly, while the bloods like to hide and are a little more on the nocturnal side, I believe.

Skunk and fire shrimp (and any shrimp with long white antennae) are cleaner shrimp.

The goby would co-exist with these shrimp, but you are correct. Pairing only comes with a pistol.

Speaking of Pistol shrimp and Gobies. I was in my LFS today browsing with my daughter and we spotted a small pistol shrimp in one of the tanks.. So we mentioned it to the staff there and they had no idea they had 1. It came as a surprise in their weekly fish order. So we were talking and figured we'd put the pistol in with a goby hoping they would possibly pair up. Not even 5 minutes went by, the goby snatched up the pistol shrimp and ate him for a snack lol .. very wierd!

I would make sure you have mesh lid if you are going to get a fire fish, they are notorious jumpers

Thanks. I will look into making a mesh lid.

Going off topic for a moment...

My wife and I stopped by the LFS today. They had been in business 47 years. We got our clown there. They are going out of business. Claimed they couldn't compete with the internet, petco, and petsmart. Now we are down to just one viable LFS in San Jose, and that LFS has small tanks (like 2 gallons small) for some of their fish. The only good thing is it appears they sell their fish fast so they shouldn't be suffering for too long. They get another order in this Tuesday so I will stop by and see if I can relieve one poor suffering fish it's suffering by adopting it. I'll try and get a mesh lid quick just in case they get a fire fish in.

Skunk and fire shrimp (and any shrimp with long white antennae) are cleaner shrimp.

The goby would co-exist with these shrimp, but you are correct. Pairing only comes with a pistol.

Thats what I meant, sorry if I didnt get that clear. I tend to do that from time to time. :)

Back