Need Help On Fliter For 60 Hex

cgarza

Reefing newb
Please help, I have a 60 hex I want to setup with some rocks (not Live) and a few clown fish. I don't know what I should use. I see canisters filters then I see wet/dry filters. and info would be appreciated. :frustrat:

im a newbie myself so dont hold me to this but if i were to set up a tank just for clowns i would use the canister and on top of the dead rock i would add a few pounds of live rock then over time all the base rock will turn live spread coraline and will also become a natural filter of its own besides the wet dry is alot more money the only time i would add one is when your going reef that way you can use part of it for a refugium for natural nitrate reduction and can use it for live foods just my :twocents: and good luck

If you do not want a hob (hang on back) skimmer, then the sump under the stand is the ticket. You might look at the CPR 192 or 194. should work well for the 60, that is if it will fit. just one thought. there is a lot of product out there so with information given/or lack thereof, I would go with the sump and insump protein skimmer. hope this helps. keep us posted and some pic's as your system developes.

Thanks For all the great help. I have one last question, I was told my hex cant be used by a mom and dad store that my hex cant be used for a saltwater tank. I don't think this is true cause I now my way around the Internet and came across some pictures of hex saltwater tanks. I'm not looking to go no more then three or so fish.​

without pics of the tank including top and bottom cabinet cant say. if the tank is glass or acrylic and no metal frame or other contact with salt water, the only question will be if the required saltwater equipment will match up to the tank, otherwise im not sure what the cant go saltwater is all about.

i think the reason they may have said that is because a hex dosnt have as much surface area for bacteria but they still can be used also the light dosnt penatrate as far in a hex because there skinny and tall thats why they say the longer and shorter ones are better but they can work just fine

FYI, you can get a CPR Bak-Pak filter to fit on the tank in the spot provided in the hood. The Bak-Pak, some liverock, a few additional powerheads for circulation, and a heater and you are good to go.

Back