need help please

Kwater

Chill
ok I had a clam and a cleaner wrassie in my old 40 gallon tank. I took the clam To the local store so they could hang on to him till I got metal halides. I now have the clam back in my tank. The 80 gallon one. And
The cleaner wrassie is picking at the clam. When ever he starts to open up a little he goes and picks at him. I just need some advice he eats the food I put in there but the wrassie is acting up for some reason. Help or. advice please.I want to keep them both

there is probably a parasite that the clam picked up at the LFS that the wrasse is trying to get at, and how have you had such good luck keeping a cleaner wrasse alive, they dont last long in captivity

Sounds like you may have gotten a false cleaner wrasse,I forget the actual name.They look almost exactly like a cleaner wrasse,except they are a predator that takes out chunks of flesh and meat.

now i'm confused. Well I got it from a pretty experienced guy and he deffnerly eats the stuff off of the fish he alleays goes up to them and eats off them and the fish like it. And yes with much care I have had this cleaner wrassie for about 5 months. If the clam does have parasites how do I get rid of them

Dont think I would give a clam a freshwater dip.I dont know that it would hurt anything,but I wouldnt take a chance on it.

the calm itself will close up so it wont hurt the clam, its more to kill anything that might be on the shell, and clams can go for some time in freshwater with no problem

has well thanx. I want to keep all my animals happy and healthy. And I have done many things to ashure it. I will do what I can. Sadly I am leaving for hawii in a week. One last thing I have sps and clams of course. With a 175 watt 20,000 k. Is this ok

My cleaner wrasse has been alive for a few months now, seems to keep all the nasty parasites at bay. Only way he eats by himself is if i hand feed him, but recently he has started to eat by himself. I was worried as i read alot of stores and threads about them dying as they don't have any parasites to eat (unlike the fish shop always getting new fish in etc). But lucky for me he is doing well.
I defiantly wouldn't want to risk a freshwater bath for a clam, the cost is to scary to think about if it dies, but saying that what else could you do with it?

Back