Need help with a refugium

Namor

Reefing newb
Hey everyone, I am currently using an All Glass Mega Flow 2 on my 40 gallon. I keep wanting a refugium and everyone that I mention it to says to put it in my sump. My question is "how"? I have scanned my literature which all talks about thier benefits, but no construction tips. I already have a protien skimmer in there, and a heater, not sure if more will fit. What do I need to do to include one of these guys?
Also, I was told that if I get a refugium to let the light on it run 24/7. The person who told me this said that since I am using a calcium reactor I don't have to worry about ph swings due to the buffering capacity of the reactor. I am not so sure about this and would like more opinions.
And lastly, with a refugium, do I need to worry about phosphate removing materials? I was thinking of adding a fluidized bed philter with a phospate absorbing medium (I don't really think I have a problem with it, but don't want one to develop).

If your sump is large enough, you can divide it into sections using sheets of plexiglass siliconed in place. The simplest sump design is divided into three sections: the first for equipment (skimmer, heater, etc), the second is the refugium, and the third, and smallest section, holds the return pump.

With fuge, most people either run your lights 24/7 or on an opposite schedule of your main tank lights. I agree with what the guy said about the calcium reactor, if you want to, you should be okay running them on the same schedule as your main tank.

In a fuge, the macroalgae would be your phosphate removing materials. Most fuges contain live sand, live rock rubble and macroalgae (the best type is chaetomorpha). Not only does this take out nutrients from the water (which would otherwise cause nuisance algae in your main tank), but it is a breeding ground for pods which eventually overlow into the main tank and feed your animals.

Not too many people use fluidized filter beds. In fact, I don't know one person that uses it in their fuge. If you need to use a phosphate absorbing medium, you can always put a phosphate reactor in your equipment section (they are cheap, like $25). Or just put the media bag in an area of high flow (most skimmers have a section that you can put them in), or in a small HOB filter.

So, basically, just isolate off a section of my sump and put that stuff into it (sand, rock, etc) and I'm fine? What about just putting a ten gallon tank into my sump and putting the stuff into that tank, will the water flow over the top of the tank be enough? I would really like to look a "drop in" method so as not to disrupt my tanks filtration.

Do you have enough space to include a fuge with that megaflow sump?I find wet/drys and refugium counter intuitive.The wet/dry produces nitrates if not cleaned often and the fuge takes it away.If you do add a fuge,put rock rubble in that and slowly remove the bio-balls,if you are using them in the sump.

You can run phosphate media in anything,it doesn't need to be a fluidized filter.Phosphate reactors or even canisters will work.Its up to you.

So, Reeffreak, are you saying replace all the bio balls with live rock? I have an area of bioballs, but it doesn't fill the whole sump

I would replace the bioballs with live rock rubble. Unless you are diligent about cleaning your bioballs, they will lead to nitrate problems down the road.

LAST DAY TO SIGN UP FOR LR SECRET SANTA 2007! PM S13REDLINE NOW! DO IT! OR ELSE! OR ELSE WHAT? YOU SAY. YOU DON'T WANT TO FIND OUT, THAT'S WHAT.

Is that a process that should be done slowly, or can I go out and get enough reef rubble all at once and do it?

So, Reeffreak, are you saying replace all the bio balls with live rock? I have an area of bioballs, but it doesn't fill the whole sump

What I meant was if your going to add a refugium then put rock rubble in the fuge and slowly remove the bio-balls over the next couple of weeks.

Now if you want to do away with the BB before you add a fuge,then that would be good too.I've found that rock rubble isn't much better than bbs unless its fully underwater.This is what I would do.Put rubble in the section next to the bio chamber and remove 1/3 once every 3-4 days.Once all the bb are gone then put the rubble thats in the next chamber into the bio chamber,just enough to stay underwater.I have rubble everywhere in the sump-return section,fuge,skimmer chamber.They make great frag rocks too later on.

Back