Need help with Hypo Treatment

Cathic

Fish Wrangler
Fish have the signs of Ich, I know it as a positive ID, want to hypo but just recently set up a tank that I can adjust the gravity of. Do I just set up to 1.014 and then acclimate fish to it? Procedures would help, as the infestation is progressing rapidly and I would hate to lose fish.

Also, should i Freshwater dip, for 3 minutes then move them to the Hypo tank?

Appreciate any links or more specific advice.

I'm no hypo expert but I always thought you started at normal salinity and lowered the salinity over a period of 72 hrs then raised it over a period of 2 weeks.

I believe this is right, though I keep reading the idea is to quickly shock the Ich, but I guess that the 3 days is rather fast... I know it can not be to rapid because of the fis h needs to acclimate.

It's not that its shocking it it's just the ich can't survive it period. Nothing but the fish can survive it I'm told. 3 days is quick for dropping salinity but the fish can handle the dropping better than the increase. So you can decrease the salinity faster than you can increase it. The increase is so long because you can easily kill em if you increase salinity to quickly.

The lack of salt makes them explode during one part of their life cycle. I think it is when they drop off the fish but not sure.

Back