Need help!

Iowabowhunter

Reefing newb
So... I have a good amount of experience with freshwater fish however just got a place where i have the room to get a large aquarium. Im wanting to get into Saltwater. Im debating between a 55 gallon and a 180 gallon tank. Im ready to do the work and have the time to dedicate to taking care of things however just need advice on everything. How many fish i can have what ones mix well together. The list goes on. Im Shawn btw, Any suggestions or help would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks!!:sfish::sfish::sfish::question::question::question:

Greetings BowHunter! Nice to see ya.

I've been out of this game for a while so I'm not going to go into specifics about do's and dont's, as I'm trying to re-educate myself I will tell you one important thing to consider is what kind of saltwater tank you're shooting for. Will it have fish only? Fish only w/ live rock? Or will it be a full blown reef tank? These are VERY important things to consider.

I will tell you knowledge is power. The game in saltwater is different from fresh. Go here Reefkeeping Articles. Read, read, read. Also, there's a search button in the top navigation bar. If you have a question, most likely it's been answered. Do a quick search and see what comes up, my bet is that you'll already find the answer to your question. Good luck and I'm sure some of the more current users will be a long to give you some more insight.

Hi Shawn and welcome to the forum. :wave:

As far as to which size of tank you should go with? I would recommend the 180. I think the 55 would be too limiting. With the larger tank it should be easier to maintain water quality.

Awesome thanks. As far as fish go, What kinds of fish and how many would i be able to put in. Inverts and all. SHould i find out what i want i mean whats the best way to go about it? Thanks.

I would like a full blown reef tank however being that its my first saltwater experience would i be better off doing some live rock and fish only. I just want to have a awesome looking tank

I agree with the advice thus far and welcome to the site. Folks here are very knowledgable and helpful. I have a 35 gal tank and wish i had a much larger tank. The larger volume of water actually makes care a bit easier as things can change for bad very quickly in a small tank. You have to take extra care when running the smaller tanks. Also a larger tank opens more choices for occupants. Check out Live Aquaria Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums for their compatibility chart. Lots of great info about what can go with what on this site. Good luck and ask away...

Welcome to the site.MAN,I'd love to do some bowhuntin in Iowa.:D
The general rule of thumb for saltwater fish,is 1 inch of adult size fish per 5 gallons of tank.BUT,that rule dont hold for some of the fish,ie" Tangs which some dont get all that big,but they need a lot of swimmin room.
I'd also go with the 180.More water means that mistakes arent as bad,plus added stability.Of course there is the cost factor to.The bigger the tank,the more it cost to get it started.

And glad to see you posting again Mathew:D

I think the best way to get into this hobby is to start off with a live rock and fish only tank. Try your hand at that for a few months, and in the meantime, save your money for lights to keep corals with. It usually takes a few months (at least) to get into the groove of things and start understanding how things work. When your comfortable that you can keep your fish and cleaner crew alive, then get some easy beginner corals. But I would not try corals without A) a good skimmer, and B) good lights.

I think the best way to get into this hobby is to start off with a live rock and fish only tank. Try your hand at that for a few months, and in the meantime, save your money for lights to keep corals with. It usually takes a few months (at least) to get into the groove of things and start understanding how things work. When your comfortable that you can keep your fish and cleaner crew alive, then get some easy beginner corals. But I would not try corals without A) a good skimmer, and B) good lights.

Biff,You forgot C)
And C is
Dont even try WITHOUT LivingReefs.com :D

Back