Need some advice from the pros

edward1988

Reefing newb
Long story short I aquired a 140 gallon saltwater setup that is already complete with live rock, live sand, 2 clown fish a tang and a goby ( i think ). It has some corals a shrimp, some star fish and other things, I do know a LITTLE bit about saltwater....I have had many cichlids but thats no comparison to saltwater fish!! I just need some help and advice on what to do and what supplies I need to get. Has some toadstool and devilshand, and gorgonians.
I would like to know what test kits you recommend and what additives I would need, and what I need to put in the sump??? It has a 30 gallon sump, the tank is SUPER CLEAN very clear water and for the size it looks empty...I know I will need a R/O system some Salt (was going to use Redsea Coral pro?) Something to test nitrate/nitrite and PH level. Really am in the dark and just need advice, trust me I wont be offended....
Thanks for the help

You can get API Salwater master kit For Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and PH. Then go with Salifert for Ca. Mag. Kh and stuff like that. API test for Ca. are no good alwys seem to test high.

As far as R/O goes, You should Get Not Just an R/o filter But a RO/DI its kinda the same thing with an added filter with DI Media in it.

If you can get a unit that has a TDS metter built in so that you know when to swap out the filters.

Best advice i was ever givien and is true with Saltwater Is to take it slow.

How are you moving the tank to your home ???

Sometimes with the stuff mixing and the sand getting moved around it could be a bad thing.

Going to save as much of the water thats in the tank as I can, put fish and corals in their own separate bag. maybe a battery powered air stone for the fish ? cover live rock in wet paper towel and leave the sand in the bottom of the tank....using a truck to transport. I have done some research and most people say they loose most fish and some corals when transporting....I will be driving for about 2 hours.

If i where you i would try and put the live rock in buckets with the tank water. that way you dont really have to much Die off, Also might want to change out the sandbed, If the old sand bed gets mixed arround it can cause a spike. If you keep most of the water and maybe a couple cups of the old sand you might be ok and not get a big cycle. Just add the rock and the new sand then spreed the old sand around a bit to seed the new sand and even the rock will help re seed the new sand so you should be good.

Thanks, I feel better already!! Going to get the tank this weekend so I will keep you updated, might message you for some ?'s later on if you dont mind? Hoping everything goes smooth, looking forward to learning allot about keeping a saltwater tank.

Sure feel free. Theres many others on here that can provably aid a bit better than me but most of them are sleep lol. i work graveyard so im up on the computer all night. So if you ask something durring the day and i dont respond its because im sleeping.

Hello and welcome to the site, glad to have you aboard. Civic has you covered. Most importantly, you should replace the sand like mentioned, because that will be the main reason of another cycle.

They've got you covered on moving the rocks in water and replacing the sand. One other thing to add when moving - make sure the starfish don't get exposed to air during the move, and when you transfer them to the tank once you've got it set up again try not to touch them with your hands either. Exposure to air and to the oils from our hands can cause them to slowly deteriorate and die. Small hitchhiking starfish you don't really need to worry about, but if you are getting any other stars then definitely be careful transferring them!

I moved my 90 gallon from about 2 hours away and did not lose any of the 6 fish. It can be done. They all have you covered. The only other thing I would recommend would be to put the fish in a big plastic cooler (like one that can hold a few cases of beer :D) . Rinse before use, than fill 1/2 - 2/3 with tank water. The cooler will help keep the temp more stable and less stress on the fish as they will be in there a few hours. Throw in your air stone and the fish should be just fine.

Good luck with the move.

For some general information, start reading threads here and on Wet Web Media. I would also suggest getting yourself a copy of 'The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. It is full of all kinds of good information on the keeping of saltwater fish

Thanks for all the info! The fish in the cooler w/ air stone makes sense! Sounds better then individually bagging them. Any good RO system you would recommend? OR ones that I need to stay away from or theyre all pretty much the same?

Bulk Reef Supply has really good ones...def get a 4 stage RO/DI or higher

I have the 4 stage RODI from Dr. Fosters and Smith

Back