need some advices about my tank

qxcontinuum

Reefing newb
Hi i would like to know your opinions about these circumstances.

1) Can I keep Macro algae in my tank without building a sump?
2) Can i introduce britteworms?
3) If the tank is new, and having a few corals, how many hours of light would be required daily to avoid formation of algae?
4) Can i use regular freshwater rock among other live rocks?

Thanks

I forgot the reason but i heard you can not use driftwood or other wood ornaments in a reef tank.

3) Algae stages are a normal part of a new tank. You just have to ride the wave so to speak. Probably want to keep your daylight bulbs on for around 6-8hrs with your actinics on before and after the daylights.

Freshwater rocks are not porous like the ones found in saltwater and also tend to be much more dense. Not good for critters and beneficial bacteria.

1) Can I keep Macro algae in my tank without building a sump?
Yes. Purchase an in-tank refugium or make one of your good at DIY projects. Modify a HOB power filter into a refugium. Seen it done a hundred times.

2) Can i introduce britteworms?
You can knowingly (even UN knowingly) introduce pretty much anything you want to your tank.

3) If the tank is new, and having a few corals, how many hours of light would be required daily to avoid formation of algae?
actinics on about 10hrs a day
daylights on about 6-8hrs a day

4) Can i use regular freshwater rock among other live rocks?
I wouldn't. Freshwater aquarium rocks can have very high or very low pH. They can also be full of heavy metals that will leach out into your tank and constantly kill corals. Freshwater rocks IMHO would be about the WORSE thing you could put in a reef. A ticking time bomb.
If you want cheap rock, buy dry base rock. 95% of your rock can be base rock. Only a few pieces need be "live" rock. It's all going to be live rock in 12 months. Just use a few hand selected pieces to seed the base rock.

Be patient. This is not an instant hobby.

+1 David and Rcpilot.

I currently have red macroalgae in my tank, not in any sort of refugium. It's attractive and slower growing than a lot of the greener stuff. I just got it about a week or so ago though, so I cant tell you how it does over time.

Back