Needed Equipment

tanela

Reefing newb
I am new to saltwater and I am in the research stage. In a few months I would like to set up my 55 gal as a reef tank. What kind of equipment do I need. I am doing research (books, internet,etc) but thought I would ask you guys what equipment you recommend. Also what kinds of fish do well in a 55 gal reef tank.

I have had freshwater tanks for about 15 years and have wanted a saltwater tank for about as long. Any information, advice or tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tanya

depends on if it is going to be a reef or just fish. you will need a good skimmer and good lights if you are wanting to get coral or nems.

the basics are a good set of T-5 lights, a heater, protein skimmer, 1-2 lbs of live rock for biological filtration a couple of powerheads for oxygenation of the water and current for the fish and corals, and a hang on the back filter (HOB) to clean up the water and make it sparkling, altho that is not an absolute.

Many of us end up getting sumps to hide our equipment, filter socks, set up refugiums and go all out. a tank can be successful without all that stuff. Do your research and find the kind of tank that fits for you. a 55 gallon tank would be a nice starter tank, but my experience is that going as big as you can afford and have space is the wisest way to go as your desire for fish will expand far past what a 55 will hold.

-Doc

I am starting with a 55 gallon because it's what I have. My first time out I didn't want to buy a new tank. I'm sure once I really get it going and see how much I like, I will end up with a bigger tank. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info, guys. It helps a lot. Some of the stuff I am ready is a little confusing. There just seems like so much that is needed. It seems a lot more labor intensive then my freshwater tanks ever were. :D But I am excited to learn all I can. I want my tank to be the best it can be.

Tanya

the lighting you need will depend on the kind of coral that you want to keep (sps, lps, softies and such). go visit LFS in your area and check out their dispaly tanks and look at the coral and see which ones you like. when you dacided on the corals that you want to keep then you can decide on the lighting need. T5 lighting is a good one to get if you're undecided on the corals, you can keep pretty much anycoral and cheaper than the metal halides but I personally like the shimmer effect of the halides.
welcome to the reefing madness and good luck on coming to this addictive side of aquarium keeping.

I am new to saltwater and I am in the research stage. In a few months I would like to set up my 55 gal as a reef tank. What kind of equipment do I need. I am doing research (books, internet,etc) but thought I would ask you guys what equipment you recommend. Also what kinds of fish do well in a 55 gal reef tank.

I have had freshwater tanks for about 15 years and have wanted a saltwater tank for about as long. Any information, advice or tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tanya

1)I would go with a reef ready tank over a standard 55g.They have built in overflows which will get into my second advice.

2)A sump/refugium with a good quality skimmer for filtration and added area to hide equipment like heaters.You can either build one if your handy which btw is the cheapest route or buy one premade.

3)There are many options out there.Because of there efficiency and low heat,T5-HO fixture with individual reflectors would be my number one choice.

4)Don't forget the misc. equipment and supplies.....heaters,test kits,thermometers,hydrometers or refractometers etc.

My advice was pretty basic since I have no clue on your budget and what goals you have set.As fish goes there are way to many fish that do fine in 55g.Research th kinds you like,there compatibility with other fish,corals and other inverts like shrimps,crabs and snails.Also there difficulty in care,many fish/corals are fragile and should be left for experts.Good luck and if you have any questions,feel free to ask.

I kept freshwater for years and I find this hobby easier to maintain than freshwater due to the cleaning crew. I only spend an hour a week doing tank stuff like water changes, dosing, etc. it is totally worth the extra effort for the beauty of the hobby.

If you are confused about anything, please ask so one of us can clarify. one thing I have found to be true about this hobby is that there is often more than one way to do things and you will get different advice about the same question. many of us post from our own experience as well as books we have read. it may seem a touch overwhelming at the start, but I am sure you will pick up on it quick

-Doc

please let me jump in here too, I am going mainly FOWLR tank, (the 75g) but would like to get a few inverts in there down the road. would you recomend the same lighting, the T-5? I'd like to try corals in a year or 2 when better prepared, but for now, once cycled maybe an angel, a clown, blenny, serpant star fish, and an enemy when tank is really stamble. what would you all recommend for lighting knowing my likings?

Danny,a T5-HO fixture would be perfect or your 75g.The Nova Extreme Pro with individual reflectors would be perfect.There's a thread here somewhere with that fixture.With the fixture,you should be unlimited on corals,anemones and clams.

please let me jump in here too, I am going mainly FOWLR tank, (the 75g) but would like to get a few inverts in there down the road. would you recomend the same lighting, the T-5? I'd like to try corals in a year or 2 when better prepared, but for now, once cycled maybe an angel, a clown, blenny, serpant star fish, and an enemy when tank is really stamble. what would you all recommend for lighting knowing my likings?

I agree with Reef, T-5 lighting offers you the ability to have what you want in your tank not to mention it makes your fish look great. As for an angelfish in a 75 gallon, you will want to put in a pygmy angel. The other, bigger fish need much bigger than a 75

-Doc

Danny, anemones require more powerful lighting than most corals. So if you are planning on trying an anemone down the road, you will HAVE to buy really strong (and expensive) lights. Anemones are also one of the most difficult animals to keep alive, I would not recommend adding one to a tank unless it's stable and mature, at least 8 months old.

Ya, it will be a dwarf angel, I should of mentioned that, all great info. Now you say really power and expensive, could you give me a few options? I don't wanna buy the T5-HO set-up and a year down the road find I need better, i'd rather spend the money up-front

you won't need anymore than T-5 set up unless you have a really deep tank that requires tons of penetration or if you are going with an SPS dominated tank where you have SPS on the bottom of the rockwork. T-5 lighting allows you to keep everything.

-Doc

Haha!You said penetration.

You won't need to upgrade if you get a T5-HO fixture with individual reflectors such as that Nova Pro.There are better more expensive T5 fixtures out there if you want to go that route.

I recommend you read, read and read some more before you buy ANYTHING. Spend about a week of evenings reading articles on a large site like wetwebmedia about starting up a tank. This forum has a lot of material about working with a tank after having set it up but try some other sites for more information on initially buying equipment and initially setting up a tank. This is however the most personable site I have ever participated in over the years. Read what Anthony Calfro, and Steve "The Pro" have to say about setting up a tank and choosing equipment. If one has the money to spend buy their books from the regular larger online aquarium stores. Anthony and Steve are usually available daily for advice and give it freely. There are many, many reviews on equipment on the wetwebmedia site.

Back