nem placement

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by beano, Feb 24, 2010.

1. beano

beano habitual reefer

lots of questions lately about unhappy nems moving around tanks and though i dont have one, its in the master plan and i have a question.

nems will move to a spot they like, so were do you put it when you get it home from the LFS? any trick to making it happy where you want it to live? some one mentioned low current for BTAs. any other tricks?

beano, Feb 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. beano

U4BOYZ Got Fish?

I have a few anemones...my two condys are very happy (I hear they're easy to keep)....and I have a bubble tip rosebud anemone that is not the happiest. For placement I put them in a crevice in the rocks that I would like them at....but of course they moved. One condy moved a lot...and one condy only moved a few inches. The problem you can run into (that I'm running into now)...it that one of my condys moved so close to my watermelon mushrooms that it's stinging them to death. I only have a couple left. That's why anemones can be tricky---you may need to move a few corals around to save their lives. :) Any-who...I feed my condys a piece of silver fish once a week or so. I feed my bubble tip a pipette of brine shrimp every couple of weeks. Anemones are fantastic to photograph! I also love watch them because they do weird stuff like deflate themselves...turn inside out....very neat. My other thoughts are if you're getting one to host a clownfish...do some research and get an anemone that is known to go well with a clownfish. It still might not take to it...but you'll have a better chance. I have 3 anemones, 2 clownfish...and BOTH of my clownfish still host my leather coral! UGH. :) Hope this info helps a bit.

U4BOYZ, Feb 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. beano

Smitty

When you get one, place it in the front corner somewhere...it will move most of the time, but if it like its new spot, it may stay, but that's a chance you'll have to take...good luck.

Smitty, Feb 24, 2010
  4. beano

Navarchus Almost smarter than a pig

Nems move around for at least two reasons: (1) light, (2) food. My advice is to put your nem where you want him to stay, and then feed him.

Navarchus, Feb 24, 2010
  5. beano

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

IF I was gonna add an anemone to my tank.I'd set it in a spot that has less flow to give it time to attach its foot to something.Then just let the nem pick where IT wants to be.

yote, Feb 24, 2010
  6. beano

EliWhitney314 Phish Head

I still want an anemone.

EliWhitney314, Feb 24, 2010
  7. beano

winyfrog Yep!

I always place my anemones where I want them, which needs to have good medium flow as well as light. Bubble tip anemones tend to stay put the best once they are comfortable where they are. as navarchus mentioned feed it where you want it to stay and you will have a better chance of it staying. Its best to put your anemone in your tank before you put corals that will be hard to move later (just in case the anemone decides to move)

My condy's are always on the move, on a weekly basis.

winyfrog, Feb 24, 2010
  8. beano

d2mini VIP Member

"nem placement"

No such thing. lol :)

d2mini, Feb 24, 2010
  9. beano

Sunshine

Ain't that the truth ....

Sunshine, Feb 24, 2010
  10. beano

ccCapt Reef Hacker Moderator

I guess I'm lucky. My sebae never moved in the 6+ yrs I've had it. It never moved from the spot I had it in my 75 and when I upgraded to my 125 it hasn't moved from the spot I put it. I think alot has to do with lighting, flow and water quality...not food, since I never fed it. If it's happy there is no need for it to roam around.

ccCapt, Feb 24, 2010
  11. beano

Sunshine

I've had my Red BTA for about 3 months now. It has finally stopped moving. Every day, different spot. Must have found "home" now. He's been in this spot for weeks.

Sunshine, Feb 25, 2010
  12. beano

andysgirl8800 Blenny Badlands

If you do plan to add an anemone, I'd put it where you want it, feed it, and also temporarily move any other corals that CAN be moved until the nem has finally settled in. Then you can put your corals back. Unfortunately, most nems will go wherever they please, your corals be darned along the way. :) IMO, nems are too risky for my tank with my current experience level.

andysgirl8800, Feb 25, 2010
  13. beano

Sunshine

Yeah, mine is close to my zoa. But, he hasn't done anything to it.

Sunshine, Feb 25, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question