new 100gal build need help!

freshreef

Reefer Addict
hi guys my 45gal reef has been doing awsome so i decided to start a large tank:mrgreen:. I convinced my buddys dad to sell me a 100gal that he has had sitting in the basement for years so $100 latter and a pain in the ass car ride latter i have a 100gal tank in my living room!:bounce:

so now i have some questions. first can i scrape all the silacone and reseal the tank? it has been sitting a long time
and can i have my lfs drill and put in overflows for this tank? i have no experience with rr tanks but thought this would be the best for long term.

last is any sudgestions on fish i am thinking about a FOWLR so pritty open to ideas just realy cool and colorfull fish!:Cheers:

Clean it with vinnegar to start then look at the silicone. You can only use certain types safely so wait to hear from someone that knows on that. For the drilling I just installed overflows on mine, but you can eitherget your own diamond drill bit and look it up in youtube there are videos of this being done. Or find a glass shop or fish store that is willing to do this, but you will have to check with the tank manufacturer to see what is tempered. If it is tempered it can't be drilled. Usually the bottom is and the sides aren't.

Congrats on the new tank...IMO, I wouldn't drill holes in it, you run the risk of cracking it, especially since it's so old, just install overflows; like kmart said, you don't know if its tempered or not...
clean it with vineger, and if it needs to be sealed, use a clear water based silicone, but yes, remove the old silicone first...
if going with just FOWLR, a good rule of thumb is 1 to 2 lbs of rock per gal...you could do half base rock and half live rock to start off...
then you have to decide if you are going with a peaceful community tank, or, an aggressive tank.
but you have time to decide, cause it takes time and patience in this hobby.:D

thanks guys, i was thinking about the drilling on the old tank last night and dont want to chance it but i do want a sump this time so what kind of over flow or what not can be put in place to set up a sump ect with a non drilled tank?

i will throw up some pics when i get a chance

i've heard of people drilling the sides but have never seen it. i got mine predrilled with a corner over flow and love it, i think the hang off the backs are loud and messy, but you have to do what the budget allows. and yes i would re seal the tank if its been sitting around for awhile the last thing you want is to empty the 100 gallons of water back out. my only advice is if you have the time think every move out!!!!

I have a hang on the back overflow box and I hate it. I will never start another reef tank without having it drilled.
Also, make the BIGGEST sump you can, it will save you a lot of headache in the future if you decide the one you have is too small. Section off a refugium with baffles, or just as cheap, make one out of a rubbermaid tub and have it teed into your system. Take your time figuring out what you want, because as soon as you fill it and stock it, it will be super tough to change things. Also, TILE FLOOR or concrete would be way better than carpet underneath. I have learned this mistake many times, from many spills. If you have carpet, invest in a wet/dry shopvac.
The silicone you use if you decide to reseal the glass, must not have any anti-mold chemicals in it. Good luck!

thanks, i have resealed my 55gal freshwater a year ago and has held out good. i pick up the stuff from my lfs and is fish safe.

about my sump i can fit a 55gal under the stand but i am worried about the hight with equiment as there would only be a cupple in. i am thinking about building another stand that is taller so i can fit a 55gal sump. any build threads for a stand my tank size?

well i just scraped the old silicone from the tank:Cheers: trying to con one of my buddies to help me carry this heay ass tank outside so i can wash, re-silicone and paint the back of the tank. what kind of paint do you use to do the back of the tank? i was going to do it black should i use flat or gloss? maby a black with silver flake?8-)

well i just scraped the old silicone from the tank:Cheers: trying to con one of my buddies to help me carry this heay ass tank outside so i can wash, re-silicone and paint the back of the tank. what kind of paint do you use to do the back of the tank? i was going to do it black should i use flat or gloss? maby a black with silver flake?8-)

Hi freshreef, gloss of paint will not matter unless you are looking at the back of the tank, the glass will make it look gloss, alcohol wipe then paint anything you like.
Silicon is a bit that requires special attention, look thru the glass, if you see a haze on the glass where the old seal was its not ready, silicon will not bond too itself, you will be making a nice bead but adding very little strength, scrape very carefully with NEW blades ( lots of them), silicon stinks to high heaven so if you have a small fan its a big help, leave it run when your finished and this will displace the gas emmited and hurry the cure, good luck!

you can use DAP 100% silicone or GE type I silicone...... Sasquatch is right, you need the glass to be extra clean for the silicone to bond.... alcohol, vinegar..... rinse, repeat...... razor blades..... then make sure you tape off the inside of the tank before you silicone.... Run your bead of silicone, smooth it with your finger or a spoon..... and remove the tape while the silicone is still wet... wait a minimum of 48 hours after your done before you add water.

drilled tanks are so much nicer than external overflows... but if this tank is old..... there is a good chance it's tempered..... better chance that it's tempered on the bottom and not the sides..... but 10-15 years ago it wasn't uncommon to see all the panes tempered.

Let us know how the resealing went. I'm in the exact same situation. I have a 45g, i got a 100gallon for $25, but it has a small leak. we decided to reseal it. I found this link w/ great advice (check out their other links, too, in reference to resealing):

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumdiy/a/aa050200.htm

But it's good to see how someone else does with their project. I'm going to turn the 100 into a sump for my 125.

Spray paint is the best for painting the back. If you use a brush or a roller, it will leave streaks and marks. Spray paint gives it a nice, even look, it's easy, and it's cheap.

ok finished sealing the tank and am water testing it now for the next 24hrs so far so good heres some pics

DSC01055.JPG

tank.JPG

as for paint i would just do black. and also spray paint like suggested. anything like silver flake will not be really visible after a while as most of the back will be covered in coraline anyways. however the black will be much better than nothing. i have always painted my tanks black on the back.

hopefully the leak test goes well.

Back