New 125-150 gallon tank

HeyFreqs

Reefing newb
Soon I will be purchasing either a 125 gallon tank or a 150 gallon tank. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on a live sand method. I know some people purchase sand and put a couple bags of live sand on top of it. Can anyone give me any advice on how I should tackle this, 125-150 pounds of live sand wont be cheap, either will the live rock. Does anyone know any good dealers?

Do you already have an existing tank set up with live rock? If so, you can buy all dry sand and dry rock and put it in the new tank along with the live rock and it will seed the new rock and sand. In a few months it will all be alive and you wont be able to tell a difference.

same [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Carib-Sea-Aquascaping-Reef-Rock/dp/B00025YRRU/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2POOXODF4C3CZ&colid=21EMAR5IBTSP6"]dry rock[/ame] my lfs sells only under a $1.00 a lb and not $3.00 a lb like the lfs wants

With shipping, the rocks from the Amazon link come to $1.87/lb, still not a bad price though! For an extra $1/lb it might be worth it to pick and choose pieces at the lfs.

In regards to sand, I went with all "dead" sand in my 125 and just added live rock. A few months later the sand is looking very lively and filled with critters and I assume bacteria I can't see.

Back