New 20K MH light

Supraz

Reefing newb
Up until two days ago i had been running the stock 14K 150W MH bulb that comes with hte biocube HQI. I changed it with a radium 20K 150W MH bulb. Nothing really looked strange yesterday, but when I got home today all the coral seemed smaller in size. My frogspawn is almost sucked all the way into its skeleton. I didnt change the light schedule and perhaps this is my problem. I only run my lights from 12 to 6 daily. Should i decrease it even more?

I dont think this had anything to do with it but I also used alot of reefsafe epoxy in my tank last night. Ive used it before and never noticed any ill effects. Just thought I would menton :)

And I ran all my tests.....
Ammonia - 0
nitrites - 0
nitrates - 40 (this is normal for my tank ive been battling it for awhile)

The new lights are probably putting out a lot more PAR and it's a shock to your corals. I'd try cutting your lighting back to about 4 hours or so and slowly bring it back up.

So I changed my lighting cycle to 2-6pm lights on. Everything still seems to me small including my frogspawn and the nems see to be shrunk as well. How long does this last? Should I put my stock 14K light back in? Im just worried about long term effects on my livestock.

I might be being impatient, if so I apologize, my tank is like my child lol.

I would keep the new bulb, but gradually increase the hours it runs. But, it's also up to you if you like the looks of the new color better than the old color. If you don't, switch to a bulb with the old K rating.

Back