New Acans

KevinR840

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

I just picked up a good size acan colony what should I do to acclimate them? Besides the usual slow drip, temperature acclimation, and light acclimation, I was thinking a freshwater dip should I do this?

Thanks

IMO fresh water dips are too stressful on corals. If you have a coral dip solution, follow the directions on that. If not, just visibly look for anything that might not be a good guy and pick it off.

remove about half the water it came with and slow drip it for a while than dump most that let it slow drip a while longer, dip it in the coral solution and your good to go

Corals don't really need a drip acclimation...just temp acclimation. I wouldn't do a fw dip on a lps, maybe if it was a soft coral, it would be ok. And place it on the bottom of your tank so that it can get used to your lights, and gradually over the next few days-weeks, raise it to where you want it. Congrats on the newbie. :)

ive always acclimated my corals because they are at the base a single celled organism all organism have to regulate their cell structure so i figure if you just plop them straight into a new environment thatll run the risk of shocking the cells, and why risk it i dont bother floating bags personally i just let the drip do it for me plus bags can be dirty

After seeing what came off of some corals after using the CoralRX dip I swear by that stuff now. I got 6 frags and a good sized pipe organ coral recently and used it with them all, all kinds of flat worms and other crap came out of the corals, even the tiny frags and all the corals were open in the tank and happy within a day.

No pix = ban, jk =)

Dang, rough crowd in on this one, LOL

I float my stuff, I have never drip acclimated anything. I do however dip my coral, no matter what! I use Seachem reef dip, place the coral in it for about 5 minutes, shake it and pull it out. I then dip it in clean RO, shake it, and place it. No issues and you will be surprised at what you don't see that comes off it! :Cheers:

gah we all wanna see dont lie

IVe seen some epic threads on diff forums started from less.

We should start more sticky;s in each section....can i talk to a manger ;) jk

Last edited:
Back