new additions question

ReefNOOB21

Reefing newb
I just got done cycling my tank and recently added 2 clowns and a clean up crew to the tank. i have a t5 light fixture coming in next week. is there a time limit i should wait before i add an anenome for my clowns? should iw ait? and when could is start adding corals and what should i start adding first? i want to start easy

Over a year. Nems need really perfect and stable conditions so its usually around that year mark before you can add one, sometimes longer. And I believe RODI is a must.

Anemones are very difficult animals to keep alive. More difficult than most corals. They are not recommended for tanks that have been set up for less than a year. And they need very intense light. How many bulbs is the T5 light you ordered? And about the water, you may be getting it from the LFS (which is good), but anemones need a very stable tank that has been set up for a while to do well. If you want your clowns to host something, there are plenty of other easier things you can keep that clowns will be just as likely to host as an anemone. Many clowns will host toadstool leathers, hairy mushrooms or xenia.

You can add some of the easy corals, like mushrooms, leathers, zoas (almost any soft coral) as soon as you get lights that can keep corals. They are all very easy to keep and do well in new tanks

i think i have to hold off. something may be wrong in my system. the two clowns i introduced, the bigger one doesnt seem to be doign well. it didnt eat much today and isnt doing much swimming. the only change i did today was changed out my powerhead from a 750gph to a 550 bc i felt that the 750 was putting through stress. i hope htey get better but i been monitoring htem all day today. im going to get my waters checked tomorrow to make sure its not a chemical problem

Not enough. I would point one powerhead at the surface of the water and make sure you get a really good ripple going.

But that is also very normal sounding behavior for clowns.

ok so i took your advice and pointed my powerhead towards the surface and i think it may have helped. i just dont like the 750 in the tank just bc i felt it stressed out the fish. im goign to order another hydor 550 and get the wavemaker for it and see how that goes.

now i just need to get my skimmer to wrok properly, im not getting no foam what so ever. just a fizz, but i do have a really low bioload but i thought i would expect to see foam?

Back