New Article on how to Prevent Marine Aquarium Disasters

Ian

Reefing newb
We have a new article, written by sen5241b on Living Reefs. It is all about how to prevent aquarium disasters in your tank and is well worth a read! You can view it from the articles menu at the top of each page, or follow the link below:

Tank disasters cause people to leave the marine aquarium hobby more than any other reason. All of the following, emotionally draining and expensive disasters have actually happened to aquarium tank owners. Some disasters destroyed not only the tanks but aquarist homes as well. Read carefully and learn from someone else’s mistake instead of your own.

Read the rest here:
https://www.livingreefs.com/marine-aquarium-disasters-and-prevent-them-t20514.html

thx to those who posted their disasters. I lot of what I've learned has come from this website. We see too many people telling their horror stories. I hope the article helps.

Nice job. Looks like lots of time was spent putting that all together.

My only comment is about salt going bad. It does not. There is nothing to "go bad". If salt gets wet, the only thing that happens is the locally high concentration of ca and alk cause the carbonates to precipitate. That precipitate will not redissolve, so you will have a mix of salt that is lower in calcium and/or alk than the mix was intended to be. The remedy...test the frresh mix and dose to get the levels back up.

I looked at some discussions on this and apparently precipitation can make the salt go bad but perhaps still usable. The question, I think, is can salt go bad enough to kill livestock. If not, then perhaps bad salt doesn't qualify as a 'disaster'.

as far as i know from experience is that the only thing that happens is like what ccapt said is that your cal and alk levels may be very low. but you can make that up with additives.

It was suggested on another site that if salt has absorbed moisture it could have easily absorbed other things like exhaust fumes in a garage. This might explain why one person's livestock all died after he used a big hard chunk of salt. (At some point, I may have to make a couple revisions in the article like 'bad salt may cause a disaster'.)

Back