new cleaning crew

shahrzad1893

Reefing newb
It's been a while since i've been here but my finds have been replenished and im on the start again :) i thought the first thing I should do was get a new cleaning crew since mine is non-existant

i was told to get a variety of snails
and right now im looking at ebay since it's easier for me to buy from there. (you can recomend anoher sight you think is better)

the tank is roughly 50 gallons
and i was wondering if theres enough room for this crew im going to get

10 nerite turbo snails
1 Orange Spotted Nassarius Snail
3 florida cerith snails
10 turbo/ astrea snails
10 blue leg hermits
and 1 halloween hermit :Cheers:

i know it is excessive but i dont know where to add and where to remove

there was a little well catastrophy a few weeks ago and im just getting this running again :passedout:
:( i lost my star polyp rock and my blue candy coral rock is 80% gone :C
and i think worse of all i cant find my little pearly jaw fish... he was one of my favorite little buggers im hoping he just moved to a different spot and will show up eventually the sneaky little bastard :P

:] i will post pictures of the progress as soon as i make some

I would add more Nass snails as well as a Mexican turbo or two. I'll caution you about that urchin. I just took mine out of my larger tank because it was constantly picking up random frags and carrying them all over theplace occasoonauuly

I don't think that's excessive for a 50 gallon tank. Looks like you're headed back on track, sorry about your recent losses. :(

just added all these to my 125 gallon

80 Blue Leg Hermit Crab
40 Dwarf Cerith
6 Fuzzy Chiton
6 Limpets*
2 Rock Boring Urchins
6 Thin Striped Hermit(these are freakin huge)
2 Pencil Urchin

purchase online at reefcleaners.org(best customer service)

I dislike hermits since sometimes they'll develop a love for snail flesh. Sometimes they're fine, like my Halloween hermit : ) you can just replenish your snails though when you want

Although it seems a little pricey, you won't be able to beat the quality of critters you will get from Tampa Bay Saltwater.

Just my 2cents worth.

I would add more Nass snails as well as a Mexican turbo or two. I'll caution you about that urchin. I just took mine out of my larger tank because it was constantly picking up random frags and carrying them all over theplace occasoonauuly

i had a diadema urchin so he didnt pick anything up
but he had passed since so he's not a problem anymore and i dont plan on getting a new one soon

Hermits can sometimes develop a taste for snail flesh. I put two in my tank and one of them bolted for all the snails. The other one, a halloween hermit, paid no attention to the snails.

Are you going be using sand on the bottom of your tank? if so i would recommend 2 strawberry conchs they do a perfect job on my sand in my 55 gallon tank

I haven't had a problem with my hermits killing my snails. But I bought extra shells to keep the hermits happy as I heard this will keep them from killing the snails. I however hava a stupid worm hithiker that is eating snails so I now have PLENTY of empy shells for my hermits. I just have to keep replentishing my snails...and one day I'll catch that stupid worm.

No hermit is 100% reef safe, IMO. Lots of people choose no to add hermits to their tanks for this reason. You can get by just fine without them.

Yea go for all snails or all hermits. I like snails. Especially when nassarius snails emerge from the depths of the sandbed.

I actually just started taking out my hermits and chucking them in my sump. Nothing stops you from doing that.

I also pulled out my urchin and put him in the sump because he was pissing me off knocking over all my corals and I found him eating my six line wrasse which im sure my dottyback killed.

I regret hermits, I lost about 20 snails so they are a no go for me from now on.

Back