New clown seems to be acting strange

Keaton

Reefing newb
Hey all. I got a maroon clown over the weekend and he seemed to be doing well as soon as we introduced him. He ate as soon as we put food in and he was socializing with the 3 blue damsels we have. Everything seemed to be good until I woke up for work this morning and found him on his side. I nudged him a little and he seemed to wake up and then ate breakfast and seemed fine again lol. Is he sleeping like this? Is he stressed? I've heard clowns display some funny behavior but has anyone seen anything like this? I'll list my perameters as of this morning just for reference. Nitrate .1 Nitrite 0 Ph was ( 8.4 ) a bit high so I added some pHMinus and will do another test first thing in the A.M. Any help would be awesome cuz I love this little guy :) Thanks in advance.

As long as he is eating, i would just keep a close eye on him. If he was on his side because he was sick or really stressed, he would not have eaten food. So this tells me he is ok. I never seen this happen before but im sure its nothing.

Just keep an eye on him.

i don't think theres much to worry about my maroon does wired things some times to but i would keep an eye on him might just be stressed a little due to new tank and the damsels might have him a little stressed your working with two fish types that are very aggressive at times they might be fighting a little in the night due to territory then again if he was was in with another one at the fish shop he might be a little lonely but i don't think you have a problem as long as he eats he probable fine you might think of getting a host for him i just got mine one last weekend mine and he his happy as a kid in a candy store . but you don't have to have a host for them to survive but they do like them.
good luck with him they a great clowns just keep the eye on and make sure he eats and give him some time to adjust and he will be fine good luck with the new guy:Cheers:

I'd go with Hobby's hypothesis here: Damsels are extremely aggressive, as are maroon clowns, if anything would be stressing him, I'd guess it's the damsels. But your tank is large enough that there's a good chance that everyone will be fine with each other.

Clowns do sleep in odd positions and do weird things. If he's eating and active and acting normal otherwise, I'd say just keep an eye on him for now and don't worry too much.

Thanks guys. He's doing pretty well now i think and my water is testing well also so I think he's just a weirdo lol. He eats like there's no tomorrow and actually doesn't seem to have ANY problems with the damsels. In fact all four of them hang out in the same tiny corner of the tank lol. I've observed them for a long time now and they just seem to get along. He actually slept in a rock last night so I think maybe it was just a case of new tank stress. Thanks again!

Back