New corals!!

WannaRace

Reefing newb
But no pics! :mrgreen:

Just wait, I'm trying to get my digi cam to work but I just may have to borrow someone else's...

I just came home with a short tentacle green plate coral. This thing has amazing color! I also bought a Sinularia, maybe a finger coral? Someone can ID this for me when I get a pic. The tank is really growing up fast and at the same time my money is going down fast! Any specific pointers on these two?

I never had much luck with short tentacled plate corals. They always seem to die on me within weeks. And everything else in my tank is fine. I know other people that have had the same mysterious problems with them, so unfortunately I'm probably not a very good person to give you advice on that guy :D. Except they need to be fed. But I fed mine and they still kicked the bucket. So whatever. Stupid corals ;).

They already know what kind of coral they have.No pic is necessary but appreciated though.Fungias(plate corals) does best in a sand bed with moderate flow and light.They are fairly aggressive so don't let other corals touch it.Occasional feeding of meaty foods like mysis is beneficial.

My Sinularia(Spaghetti,Rasta Leather) died,I don't know what happen to it.I think it was a fungal infection.Moderate light and flow,maybe occasional dose of micro-plankton.

Both are fairly easy corals,the Sinularia being a little more difficult,IME.

sinularia tend to look like they come from an exoskeleton - almost like pipes and then branch out into multiple finger-like protrusions. finger leathers have no hard part to them, but are one thick hunk of gunk with stubby protrustions. I have both and love my sinualria more than the finger leather. I have mine placed mid-tank, moderate water flow and he thrives. I don't hand feed my corals but trust the water column to blow lots of food around during feeding time.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

here are pics of my sinularia and compare it to my finger leather. You can decide what you picked up. Sorry, the lights were out and I am not patient.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

P8140002.jpg

Sinularia

P8140003.jpg

Finger leather

Looks like a Finger leather to me. Thanks Doc! It is attached to a plug and I have it in the sand, but my tank is shallow and I have 156 watts of T5 with moderate flow down there. It should be ok right?

Back