New guy with some concerns

Jml32788

Reefing newb
Just got back into the hobby. I had a 50 gallon fish only tank a little while back. Just picked up a 40 gallon that i'm hoping to do a mostly corals and inverts.

I have some concerns about contamination though. I'm currently building a track only drag and autocross car and I am a little worried about the chemicals on my hands. Is there a certain soap i can use that is friendly to aquariums? I use Simple Green to get my hands clean, but that is a harsh degreaser. Any suggestions? I realize this may be a stupid question.

Here is a good reason to wear gloves.
PICT1176.jpg

Thanks and I will look into getting some gloves. I usually wear gloves while working on the car. But I never thought to wear gloves while working on the tank! Also since will a single 250w MH light. Will this be enough to grow just about any coral. Depending on depth and everything? I was told by my LFS that it would be plenty. My LFS is Mr. Coral in Frederick, MD. The guys in there seem to know their stuff very well.

I know it's a reef site but how about a little history on the cars? I have been turning wrenches for 40+ and my tanks are at work I wash my hands in two parts first time with the soap with grit and follow up with a liquid soap pleanty of hot water rinse good to go. Big screw up yesterday I grabed a can to clean the glass oops it was brake clean :mrgreen:

Welcome aboard.
I'm another one of those guys with greasy hands.Another trick I've used is about the same as Toolmans except I add a 3rd part.I'll finish up with regular old rubbing alcohol.

I know it's a reef site but how about a little history on the cars? I have been turning wrenches for 40+ and my tanks are at work I wash my hands in two parts first time with the soap with grit and follow up with a liquid soap pleanty of hot water rinse good to go. Big screw up yesterday I grabed a can to clean the glass oops it was brake clean :mrgreen:

Well, to start, i'm only 23 and this is my very first full blown build so it is a learning experience more than anything. The car is a 96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. I chose this as a platform because of the AWD drivetrain. As well as it having an incredible track record for a 4 cylinder motor. Here is the build list for the motor.

6 Bolt block
Bored .2 over
Ross Pistons .2 over
Eagle H Beam rods
Balanced OEM crank
ACL Tri Metal Main and Rod Bearings
ARP Main studs
ARP head studs
MAPerformance Balance shaft elimination kit
Holset Hx35

Head:
Supertech Single valve springs
Evo8 Lifters
5 angle valve job
Ferrara 1mm over Competition S.S. valves
Ferrara Valve seals
Multilayer Headgasket

My goal with this car is a mid 10sec 1/4 mile. But I would be happy with low 11s. I know that you said you have 40+ years turning wrenchs so i'm assuming this isn't exactly your cup of tea. But after i'm done with this build I will be building a LS1 Camaro... Hopefully!

sounds expensive what about fuel delivery? yea your right i'm a little old school pre compuiter tweeking but it sounds strong you should get mid 10's with a little luck :Cheers:

sounds expensive what about fuel delivery? yea your right i'm a little old school pre compuiter tweeking but it sounds strong you should get mid 10's with a little luck :Cheers:

Actually its not all that expensive for these little cars. I'm on track to wrap everything up with a little under $17,000 including the price of the car. Haven't decided on injector size. No smaller than 1200cc though. Along with dual walbro 255 fuel pumps with an Automatic Fuel pressure regulator. Im undecided on Cams and an exhaust manifold still. It will all be tuned with software called ECMlink.

How about you? Any modified cars of your own? Im always interested to hear other peoples builds and projects.

Hi and welcome to the site! Gloves are a great idea when working in the tank, if there's a chance you have other things on your hands. Otherwise, I'd say using some dish soap would be okay. Just make sure to rinse your hands well afterwards and don't put them in the tank right away.

If i were you i would scrap the ls1 idea and go with an ls2/3. you are going to get way more power out of them. I have a 65 chevelle with an ls3, heads, cam, med size turbo thats making 656 hp to the wheels. just my :twocents:. I do like the build you have going should be a nice car once its done.

Back