New here and looking for advice

mwm

Reefing newb
hey guys this is my first post and thank you in advance for any advice given.I have begun working on my 30g reef tank for about a year now. I really enjoy this hobby and am extremely eager to learn new stuff. I have been back and forth with 3 lfs's and am getting mixed or even bad advice or setup instructions. Hopefully i have come to the right place. I have now 2 clown fish, 2 yellow tail damsels 1 puffer and some snails and crabs,1 tube anenome and some green button polyps. I bought the gb polyps 2 weeks ago and they havent really opened. I understand sometimes they really take their time but yesterday i noticed some turning almost a whitish color, some are limp and some have this brown stringy substance hanging on them. I checked all my tests; ph,nitrates and all that fun stuff. i use ro/di water. But i think its my light. I'm using a 50/50 PC aqualight 24". I think it only puts out 28 watts.i bought it because it was what the lfs clerk told me i needed. My bad for not doing my homework. I want to go buy better light asap but want to make sure its what i need.any recomendations? thanks again.

Look into a 4 or 6 bulb HO T5 fixture asap if you want to keep those button polyps or anenome for any amount of time. Welcome to the site!

Oh 100% absolutely the light is the key reason. Water quality is uber important but light is highest right of the bat.

Welcome to the reef.
Looks like Ryan and Melon have you covered on the lights.
I'd suggest getting rid of the damsels and the puffer.Then pick a couple of small PEACEFUL fish.

yes i agree with you on ridding of those fish especially the puffer but for now it looks like im in the hunt for some quality lighting. Thanks for the help guys.

the light are the problem that lfs guy needs to be shot i hate when people do that and then your spending double the money. what kind of puffer is it. my friend had 2 porcipine puffers and they ate all of his recordias and button poylps. so i would get rid of him as far as the damsels go everyone says they are bad but i have 4 in my tank and a clown witch is from the same family and they do just fine so remember every tank is different and every fish is different almost like thay have their own personallity
sorry so long but im getting tired of people downing the damsels

Well, tube anemones are non-photosynthetic, so light isn't a problem for that guy. The bad news about tube anemones is that they are voracious predators and will probably end up catching and eating your fish.

Your corals definitely sound like they are suffering from a lack of light. You will not be able to keep any corals, clams or photosynthetic anemones with the light that you have.

Damn Biff beat me to it as usual.She is right though,tube anemones are non-photosynthetic.You will still need better lights for the other corals though.

Back