New into Coral

bcool22

Fishy McFish's alot
Hello all.

So since I only have a year worth of saltwater experience most of the experience comes from care of fish and live rock and design.

My experience with Coral is very limited and I know nothing about them. Anyone have any good details and and good ideas on what I should do and what I should start with for my 42 gallon tank. Of course I am not going to put the stuff in until it cycles atleast once.

Help would be great!

Try some of the easier, low light corals at first...mostly soft corals like mushrooms, leathers, ricordia's, zoas, green star polyps, xenia, etc. once you get the hang of them, then you can try lps's.

I am using a great ACAN LED system but word of caution: you will never be in an underlit condition. You will most likely need to tune down the intensity as the lux (especially the white higher temp lights) is more than even my two acro's could handle. I am running my 'whites' at 45% and my actinic strip at 63-68% which my red planet acro greatly appreciated. Imagine what the lower light corals need as far as placement. Don't get me wrong, I love all the positives but be very careful of running at full intensity at beginning and experiment with placing starting with bottom and moving up. Good luck!

Back