New Light Fixture

Ace5high

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

Im looking for an upgrade in light fixture, but having trouble finding what I need (pretty specific).

Can anyone recommend a 4 foot fixture that has 4 T5's, 2-150 watt HQI Metal Halides and some blue LEDs for moonlight? Oh Also, Id prefer something that can mount to the tank since I have nothing to hang it from but high ceailings...

Or if you have something that works great on your 4 foot 90-120 gal tank now let me know whats working!

P.s. goal is to have at least 6 watts per gallon or right around there...

Here's what I'm using on my 4-foot 75g tank. That watts per gallon thing is really only a guideline, if you're looking for lighting that will allow you to keep anything in your tank, the 150w MH PAR levels will really drop about 2/3s of the way down your tank.

you need to post a link

Are you saying the 150s are not enough?
2-250s plus T5s just seems like a lot for a small tank, hum, now you got me thinking.

Also, reason for upgrading was to go a step up from the odessa I have now ;-)
Nothing wrong with them, so I am still considering...

I think he means the 150's may not penetrate deep enough into the tank.

I've seen a lot of examples of only T5 fixtures on 90's and 120's growing all types of corals. My 120 is actually arriving tomorrow and I'm going the T5 route. This is from another forum (not sure the policy here on linking to other forums) and it's a pretty great tank and he's running T5's only. It's an 8x54w Tek fixture.

tankt5-1.jpg

Yep, that's what I meant. Biff runs a 6x54w T5 fixture on her 90, and she could keep anything she wants in it.

Yep, that's what I meant. Biff runs a 6x54w T5 fixture on her 90, and she could keep anything she wants in it.

Wow 6-T5s... I know what you meant by not penetrating deep enough on the taller tanks. My question then becomes do you think the T5's are actually getting superior par readings at the deeper depths then the small MH's?

If this is so, I may make my focus on T5's rather then the MH's... I just dont have a way to measure the par myself :-(

Yep, the 6 x 54 watt T5 does fine for my 90.

Wow 6-T5s... I know what you meant by not penetrating deep enough on the taller tanks. My question then becomes do you think the T5's are actually getting superior par readings at the deeper depths then the small MH's?

If this is so, I may make my focus on T5's rather then the MH's... I just dont have a way to measure the par myself :-(

How tall is your tank? MH do get better par at deeper depths (18" and more). But T5 is good enough to get the job done on a standard 90.

Yep, the 6 x 54 watt T5 does fine for my 90.

How tall is your tank? MH do get better par at deeper depths (18" and more). But T5 is good enough to get the job done on a standard 90.

Huh... well good for you ;-) Do you currently have any clams, sps, anemone's, or lps?

If so how are they doing? have you noticed any of the above that your not able to keep over time?

mine is a standard 90 gal size... I want o say the tank is 24" high maybe 25" The canopy Im building lifts the lights another 8".

So lets say my MH's will need to penetrate 31-33" to reach the sand but not all of that is water... The goal is to keep thriving clams, sps, anem's :D

Yep, that setup would be fine for a 90. My 90 is a standard size, so if yours is the same, you would also be fine with just T5s.

Back