new lights

kyle

Reefing newb
okay so the other day i was talking to my friend who sold me my tank, and found out that the lights were 2 years old. so i bought some new lights, and would like to get your guys input. I know i should switch over to t.5 or MH but im using the fixture that was given to me with the tank.(its a t.8 fixture)

all three lights are from the same company "ZOO MED Aquatic,and there all 15 watts. this gives me 45watts total in a 65g aquarium. thats less then 1 watt per gallon know (like is siaid i k now i shoud switch over)

1. CORAL SUN actinic 420
2. ULTRA SUN super daylight
3. OCEAN SUN 10,000 k

I don't understand?Are you asking what you can keep with less than one watt per gallon?

That answer is simple,fish only and non-photosynthetic corals.

Kyle,

Time to upgrade the fixture buddy. I know you probably have a fixture hood that is integrated into the tank, but now would be the time to start thinking about upgrading.

From your past posts, it sounds like you want to do more "exotic" reefing with corals and such. In your tank, you should have much more lighting. I am not sure if you can achieve this with your fixture. Try looking for for a T5 fixture and just bite the bullet. If you can go with the halides, go for it.
I don't know if Halides will cause your water temp to increase forcing you to use a chiller.

Good luck.

you can find a good set of T-5 lighting for not too much and you will be greatly pleased with the result. I say, ditch what you have. Sorry

-Doc

well im going to get a new tank soon so il wait till then. ill make plans and post them and see what you guy think.

Back