new lights

softchxntaco

Reefing newb
im looking to upgrade my current lighting system (stock ones that came with the aquarium) and im confused on what would be the better options pc or t5. i plan on having mushrooms nems and other soft corals, so how many watts are needed on a 55 gal. the pc unit i found was 260 watts but the t5 unit i found was only 216 watts, would the 216 be enough for what i would need?

Last edited:
For starters, most 'nems are moderate to difficult to keep, and require very high light

As to PC vs T5. - T5 HO are far more efficient than PC bulbs, so that 215 watt T5 fixture is going to give you more usable light than 250 watts of PC (especially if each bulb has its own individual reflector - i would not buy a T5 fixture that did not have Individual reflectors, it increases light output significantly)

If you're looking into T5 fixtures, I would look for at a minimum a 4 bulb fixture, but a 6 bulb fixture with individual reflectors would be better, especially if you want to keep things like clams and 'nems when your tank is ready for them

Nems have super high lighting requirements, higher thann corals, so if you want to keep nems you are going to need a good light. No matter what though, i would go with t5 lighting over PC. t5 bulbs put out more usable wavelengths than PC.

The 216 watt fixture will let you keep most corals, but might not be enough for a nem or clam.

I think if you got a 6-bulb T5 with individual reflectors, you could keep most corals and try a nem if its pretty high up. No guarantees, though. Good bulbs (ATI, Giessman, etc...) and individual reflectors would be the difference, though.

thanks for the advice, i did find a 6 bulb set up for only 20 dollars more then then 4 bulb set up and its 324 watts so when i get the funds for it i will get that set up, also thanks for the advice on the car headlight diy, all of you have been great :)

Back