New member/sponge question

Newtpond

Reefing newb
Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Gareth and am a student at UGA. I recently bought a 10 gal setup off my friend bc he got tired of trying to keep it looking alive...I have brought it back from the dead and everything is looking good at the moment. Ive had it for 3 months now and have made a lot of adjustments. The only things in the tank when i got it were the frogspawn and a few zooanthid colonies. I have attached a picture of my sponge that i recently bought, its an orange sponge with yellow zooanthids on it. Its doing fine I'm pretty sure but it does get 'dusty' a lot and i have to try and clean it off. My question about the sponge is that if i look reallllly closely there are tiny little bug looking things hopping around on it. These things are microscopic so i couldn't attach a picture of it. I was wondering if these are bad or if anyone knows what they might be? My suspicion is that they are maybe icy because i did have an icy outbreak a few weeks back because i bought two clowns and let the bag water get in the tank. Ive got it under control with some metronidazole but am wondering if they're hanging out on the sponge?

Thanks let me know what you think!

DSC00416.jpg

DSC00431.jpg

DSC00415.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

Im assuming u meant ich,Ich only is a parasite on fish from when they are sick or stressed so thats not a possibility lol and im assuming its copepods and amphipods free fish food pretty much.and thats really cool the sponge with a colony growing on it!

Thanks for the quick response, well yeh thats what i was wondering. If the sponge could have ich growing on it aswell. Good thing it can't though i guess. i thought the sponge may have been a little too advanced since just started with this but it seems to be doing fine. Id never seen one with zooanths on it so i had to get it

Sara: Yes ich was intoduced to my tank when i bought my first two fish - the black clowns. One of them died shortly after since i didn't really know what it was but I've got it under control now. Just waiting for them to run their life cycle before doing anything else

Glad you got it under control. You have a black clown now? That pic makes him look orange for some reason...
I love sponges, they look awesome, especially yours. :)
You'll love this forum, it's a big help!

Hello and Welcome

You have a very nice looking tank! But those arent zoas growing on your sponge, i think they are yellow polyps.

Also ich will always be in your tank as long as you have fish, but that is ok because most of us have ich and as long as our fish are unstressed, the ich doesnt take over and get to the point where you can see the visible bumps. Here is some more info on ich if you are curious
https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

I only know of Aquarium Outfitters up at the intersection of broad and alps behind the checkers, is there another you know of? That place is good though, people are helpful and friendly.

I only know of Aquarium Outfitters up at the intersection of broad and alps behind the checkers, is there another you know of? That place is good though, people are helpful and friendly.
I thought that sponge looked familiar. :D Petland has a SW set up. I'm not too fond of the new "fish guy" that they currently have. IMO, I would avoid Petland like the plague. AO is a good place to shop, I would like them to get a larger assortment of zoas..........When are you usually up there?

Oh damn I didn't know peatland had SW. The one at epps bridge? I've got too many zoas in my tank maybe we can trade frags when I get my sump set up

Back