New pickup/dead pickup

steelcity

Reefing newb
Well yesterday I picked up a small diamond goby about 2" long. Acclimated him and gave him a good period of time with lights out so no one would see him. When I turned the lights on he was doing his job making his way across the sand. At feeding time he ate pretty good and then continued with his sand routine.

I checked the tank before I went to bed and found him buried in the sand under a rock with his eyes poking out. Figured he's doing just fine. Woke up this morning and found him on the carpet. Still somewhat moist so I don't think I missed it by much. He managed to get through the eggcrate holes. Sucks.

However I also picked up a nice blue hammer with 8 heads for a good price. Some of those heads are trying to pinch off into others as well. Put it next to my torch so the clowns might take to that as well and lessen the beating on the torch.

Sorry about the goby...it seems like we all share that same problem with them...also, cool addition with the new coral...got any pics?

I've lost two diamond gobies due to jumping, but they do such a fantastic job sifting the sand that my tank will always have one in it. "She" is the hardest worker on my reef.

I cant find one of my mated pairs of yellow head gobys either, I think he has done the leap of faith also. Even though I cant find a body anywhere:shock:

i hate when fish jump i lost two of my favorite fish due to jumping and i had glass tops on my tank and they found a little hole by my skimmer

I've lost two diamond gobies due to jumping, but they do such a fantastic job sifting the sand that my tank will always have one in it. "She" is the hardest worker on my reef.

Same here. I had the woman who owns the LFS here take care of my tank for about 10 days when I was gone and when she came and checked out my tank she was shocked about my goby because it is the most healthy one she has ever seen. He sifts through everything all day. He is a beast, and only has one eye.

Sorry to hear about your loss, ive had a couple of fish jump and its never fun.

I think its safe to say we all hate carpet surfin fish.Every wrasse I've had has jumpped.Every goby to.

Now where are the pics of that hammer? :D

I had two diamond gobies (at different times) and both jumped. That's one fish that I will be avoiding for the rest of my time in this hobby.

Haha! That's a good one too. I got them one day after the other. Picked up one on Saturday, it jumped Saturday night. Picked up the next one on Sunday, that one jumped Sunday night. So they were named Tard and ReTard posthumously.

You guys think you have it bad! Ha! Try a Zero Edge, it'll help almost any small fish go carpet surfing. Lets see Firefish, Gobies, Mandarins, some Clowns, Blennys, Chromis, Cardinals, ....... I could go on and on. I am going to be getting another tank just so I can keep some of the fish I like.

Steelcity sorry about your Goby. At first I thought you got a new Pick-up and it was a lemon and was dead or something like that. :lol:

Put it next to my torch so the clowns might take to that as well and lessen the beating on the torch.

It can be done. Sorry about your Goby.

100_1013.JPG

thats a sharp looking hammer. Let me know if you want to chop off a few heads of that. I'll glady add that to my growing euphyllia garden.

Back