New Salt

JohnVH

Reefer Madness
Anyone see the new reef salt by Omega Sea. I decided to give it a shot. I know the company as makers of fish food. Though I primarily feed a variety of frozen food I do keep one can of Omega One marine flake food. I feed flake food only about once a week or twice if I am lazy and don’t want to thaw and rinse the frozen food, anyway starting to get off topic. Back to the salt, I went to my local LFS to pick up salt and they were out of my regular brand and I noticed that they were carrying this new salt called Omega Sea Marine Salt and Omega Sea Reef Salt. In my part of Canada it goes for $60 for a 180 gallon pail. Up here that’s a great price if you can believe it. It has a better mix ratio than other brands where ½ cup per gallon gets you a SG of 1.021 -1.022 on average. Omega Sea hits the target of 1.024 - 1.025 per ½ per cup per gallon as most of us keep our tanks at. I have used several salts over the last few years

Seachem Reef Crystals @ $69.99 - $79.99 160 gallon

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals @ $69.99 - $79.99 160 gallon

Tropic Marin @$119.99 – 129.99 (if you can believe it) 160 gallon

Omega Sea Reef Crystals @ $59.99 180 Gallon

Our LFS stores here really suck and that's about all you can get here.

I have just used the Omega Sea Reef Salt in my second water change since buying it and so far so good.

Tested Parameters of new salt water today

ALK = 8.4 DKH

PH = 8.2

MAG = 1200

CAL = 557

Last edited:
Back