New - Shallow Water!

Rooster2410

Repto-Man
Hey guys, I have a Waterland tub (Just like this one, but not the same dimensions Waterland Tub-Small Water Enclosure).
I would like to turn it into a saltwater deal. Currently it is being used for my snapping turtle, but I think its too big for him as he cannot catch the fish, and he doesnt take advantage of its large size, so hes gonna move, and then I will buy him something different.

It currently has some small fish in it, they are 15cent fish, but they are not the guppies, I forgot what they are called. If they are unable to adapt to saltwater I have a spare tank with an Oscar for them ;).

I think the water goes JUST above 1ft or so and it is about 4ft long, with about 3ft being water and 1ft being land and about 2-2 1/2ft wide.

So my question is, after I get everything set up, what kind of fish could go in the conditions I have. Also, if its 1" fish per gallon (As the rule I've heard with Freshwater), does this include non fish like sanddollars, coral or other living things?

Now, im off to research how to setup/convert to saltwater. Any tips would be appriciated as this is my first time looking into setting up saltwater.

Hello and welcome to the site!

A lot of the rules for freshwater do not apply for saltwater. A better rule of thumb for saltwater is 1 (small) fish for every ten gallons. Corals and inverts do not really affect your bioload.
I would stick with smaller fish in a set up like that...

EDIT: I just looked into it a little more. I wouldn't do saltwater with a set up like that. Sorry.

Last edited:
Cool, So it sounds like my waterland tub could support maybe two fish.

I guess I should tell you my idea, and you can comment on it.

What I would like is perhaps one small stingray (That is sold at a local petstore)
A small (non schooling) fish. Maybe a crab or two for the land part. Possibly some kind of small tiny life like barnacle, or shrimp or something.

But like I said in above post. I need to do research on EVERYTHING, make sure those things can even go together. But it would help to know my options so I know how and what to set up. :-D

Unfortunately rays require HUGE open spaces for swimming. Your set up would not work for them.
I think if you really would like to get into saltwater, you should check craigslist for someone getting rid of their tank. Again, I could be wrong here, but I would not use that setup for saltwater.

Someone else here could very well have a different opinion than me. That's the good thing about this site... you get info from more than one person!

Ya, that wouldnt work very well.

Think about it. You are going to need some very high powered lights on top of that for coral growth and with the water movement you arent going to be able to see a thing.

Like Erin said, check out cragslist for a new tank if you really want to get into saltwater. Continue researching as well! There is so much good information of this site, take advantage of it.

Well, I know there is something that could live in it. There has to be something. I dont care if its just sand and some hermit crabs. Im not looking at getting fancy or expensive. But I have seen very small tanks, that are smaller than my tub with a rock and a fish in it, and I know my tub can support more life than that. I have seen this at my local zoo, and at petshops. So it can be done. Its just a matter of I dont know what yet. :frustrat:

I've even heard of 1-5 gal saltwater.
So I am just looking for what will work with what I have. Not really what I would like. So even if its a crab and some kind of bottom feeder or something not as pretty. You know?

I will be able to give better dimensions once I am home from work.

Ah, lights are no problem. I already have a top with a light fixture. I have a pretty good filter already, I dont know if I need a super special filter for saltwater or anything. If so then I can get one. But im not too concered about seeing them. The setup will be in my room out of site from traffic.

It's true, there are smaller saltwater tanks (nano tanks).
However, little_fish's point was, with the amount of flow you need for a saltwater set-up (ideally turning the water over 15-20x an hour), you wouldn't be able to see much from the top.
Corals are also photosynthetic feeders... you need the proper wattage and color (temperature) bulbs for it to work.
Fresh water filters (canisters and HOB) are generally not recommended for saltwater, either.

Okay, well then the other option, instead of having it the way I wanted, with 1/4 land, and 3/4 water would be to just fill it up under the top of the entire deal. I can still have asnd on the 1/4 part and have that as a shallow end. That way I think the entire thing would be, more than enough.

As far as the craigslist thing goes, its a good idea. But im afraid of buying a used fish tank. Besides, while I am going to be fully invested in my saltwater setup, I am not in the market of buying a tank. I just want to use what I have so its not sitting collecting dust. I've given thought for along time on saltwater, but never looked into it, as I heard its a pain in the butt to set up, and costs alot of money to start. But easy once its going.

Its not how small the tank is, i have a 3 gal tank, i have seen 1 gal tanks. Its how that tank is set up.

If you dont want to take our advice, keep researching, and i think you will come to the same conclusion - a real tank is going to be a million times better. And you will be so bored of sand and hermit crabs really fast. For all the work it takes to keep a saltwater tank at its bare minimum, i dont think its worth it for just sand and rocks, and hermit crabs

So I am confused, how come you can have a 1-3 gallon tank, thats just fine. But you cannot have a tank how mine is which is more than one gallon?

Watching my fish swim is not my main concern. What I want is more for a hobby, just keeping them alive and happy. Surely you do not need to be able to clearly view your fish to be happy with them.

I am taking all of your advice, but I know its not the only way. I respect all of your opinions, I really do, you all have been doing this much longer than me. But as I said before, I am using the waterland tub I have. So (and I really say this with all due respect), I'd appriciate help on what fish would tolerate the amount of gallons I have, the rest would be purely aesthetics. If this makes sense.

Please dont chase me off. :-(

I wasn't trying to chase you off. The majority of people who want to get into this hobby get into it because they want to see what they have.
That being said...
Nano Fish
This is a great place to look for fish. I linked you the "nano" fish.

No one wants to chase you off. They just want what will be best for the fish you are wanting to put in there. The questions I think they have are how will you attach the equipment that is needed to keep saltwater within proper paramaters to keep healthy fish? You will need a skimmer, not a media filter like in freshwater; powerheads in order to move the water to keep it circulated and clean, this becomes even more important if you add corals; a heater to keep the water temp up, and specialized lights if you keep corals or other photosynthetic invertebrates. According to my calculations you will have around 40 gallons of water volume if you use the 2/3 portion of the tub. That will require between 600 and 1000 gpm water movement which will disrupt the surface beyond viewing in a 1 foot deep container. The point here is why keep these beautiful creatures if you are not interested in seeing them? If I were you and wanting to continue using this particular tub I would continue with what you stated earlier as your main love and get a reptile to put in it.

Back