new shrimp died within hours dont know why

llduce10

Reefing newb
i have had my tank set up for almost a yeah, never had any issues, recently i bought a shrimp and with hours he died, don't know why, had my water tested and everything was fine, i have some red algae in my tank and a little green hair algae but that should not affect anything right?

How was the little dude acclimated?

Inverts are very sensitive and require a long acclimation. Generally what I do is float the bag for 15 min, then start drip acclimating for about 1.5 hours, dump the bag over a bucket with a net on top to catch the shrimp and quickly put in tank.

Also, when you say you tested, what specifically was tested? Temp, salinity, phosphates, ammonia, trates, trites, etc.?

+1 everyone...I acclimate my fish and cuc for 2 hours, using drip acclimation. And high nitrates are bad for inverts. You've got 5 fish in a 30g, and only 15lbs of rock. Unless you do water changes regularly or have a fuge or nitrate scrubber, your levels would get high really fast.

are you sure it was the shrimp and it didnt malt its shell

I am leaning towards Nano's theory, a lot of times they molt right after you introduce them due to stress mostly I believe. Does the shrimp look pretty "see-through"?

I know I have had at least two shrimp molt after I put them in my tank and it freaked me out both times, both times they ended up fine, they went in hiding until they re-strengthened their exo-skeleton.

I'm having the same issue as you. I just found my new cleaner shrimp dead in my my tank. I floated him for 1/2 hour, then slowly added water to his bag for an hour. He seemed fine all day Thursday and Friday. I haven't tested my water so no, I can't give you any readings. I'll test shortly though a post up.

I don't know about the OP, but I'm getting a little discouraged. First the cyano, then the equipment issues, then the Ich, then losing a fish and now losing a new shrimp. Its been a tough couple of weeks around here.

i ordered a testing kit for myself instead of going to my lfs, it should be here next week,,i will repost with real numbers..but i dont see any issues with my fish or other crabs in my tank

no at the last time i saw it swiming around it was eating on the rocks, then he stoped and was still for a while..then i saw his gills? stop moving, then he started to kinda float around

How often and how much do you do water changes? If you haven't done them regularly, I bet your nitrates are high. Like I said, with 5 fish in a 30g, you need LOTS of frequent water changes. Hope you get your test kit soon.

There is something to longer acclimation, though. Why risk a quick acclimation? I, personally, don't have money to throw around....so I try to increase my livestocks' chances. If I lose one, I would know it's not due to quick acclimation. Patience is the key to this hobby.

Back