new shrimp died within hours dont know why

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by llduce10, Feb 25, 2012.

1. llduce10

llduce10

i have had my tank set up for almost a yeah, never had any issues, recently i bought a shrimp and with hours he died, don't know why, had my water tested and everything was fine, i have some red algae in my tank and a little green hair algae but that should not affect anything right?

llduce10, Feb 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. llduce10

T Fades

How was the little dude acclimated?

Inverts are very sensitive and require a long acclimation. Generally what I do is float the bag for 15 min, then start drip acclimating for about 1.5 hours, dump the bag over a bucket with a net on top to catch the shrimp and quickly put in tank.

Also, when you say you tested, what specifically was tested? Temp, salinity, phosphates, ammonia, trates, trites, etc.?

T Fades, Feb 25, 2012
    llduce10 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. llduce10

llduce10

yeah i had salinity, phosphates, ammonia, trates, trites tested, i let him acclimate for 30 mins plus.

llduce10, Feb 25, 2012
  4. llduce10

little_fish Moderator

can you give actual numbers, what might be good to you, is deadly to the shrimp. And how exactly did you acclimated.

little_fish, Feb 25, 2012
  5. llduce10

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

+1 everyone...I acclimate my fish and cuc for 2 hours, using drip acclimation. And high nitrates are bad for inverts. You've got 5 fish in a 30g, and only 15lbs of rock. Unless you do water changes regularly or have a fuge or nitrate scrubber, your levels would get high really fast.

wontonflip, Feb 25, 2012
  6. llduce10

NanoReefer

are you sure it was the shrimp and it didnt malt its shell

NanoReefer, Feb 25, 2012
  7. llduce10

Dturner Reefer Madness

I am leaning towards Nano's theory, a lot of times they molt right after you introduce them due to stress mostly I believe. Does the shrimp look pretty "see-through"?

I know I have had at least two shrimp molt after I put them in my tank and it freaked me out both times, both times they ended up fine, they went in hiding until they re-strengthened their exo-skeleton.

Dturner, Feb 25, 2012
  8. llduce10

Nonfamous

I'm having the same issue as you. I just found my new cleaner shrimp dead in my my tank. I floated him for 1/2 hour, then slowly added water to his bag for an hour. He seemed fine all day Thursday and Friday. I haven't tested my water so no, I can't give you any readings. I'll test shortly though a post up.

I don't know about the OP, but I'm getting a little discouraged. First the cyano, then the equipment issues, then the Ich, then losing a fish and now losing a new shrimp. Its been a tough couple of weeks around here.

Nonfamous, Feb 25, 2012
  9. llduce10

llduce10

i ordered a testing kit for myself instead of going to my lfs, it should be here next week,,i will repost with real numbers..but i dont see any issues with my fish or other crabs in my tank

llduce10, Feb 26, 2012
  10. llduce10

llduce10

no at the last time i saw it swiming around it was eating on the rocks, then he stoped and was still for a while..then i saw his gills? stop moving, then he started to kinda float around

llduce10, Feb 26, 2012
  11. llduce10

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

How often and how much do you do water changes? If you haven't done them regularly, I bet your nitrates are high. Like I said, with 5 fish in a 30g, you need LOTS of frequent water changes. Hope you get your test kit soon.

There is something to longer acclimation, though. Why risk a quick acclimation? I, personally, don't have money to throw around....so I try to increase my livestocks' chances. If I lose one, I would know it's not due to quick acclimation. Patience is the key to this hobby.

wontonflip, Feb 26, 2012
  12. llduce10

Marines_Wife

Something that should be brought up is stray voltage, deadly to inverts

Marines_Wife, Feb 27, 2012
  13. llduce10

Dana42078 Dana

true story on old equipment...new...it would make me livid :frustrat:

Dana42078, Feb 27, 2012
  14. llduce10

Nonfamous

I've checked mine for stray voltage. I'm good plus all my snails are fine. I really think acclimation was my issue.

Nonfamous, Feb 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question