New sump killed all my coral

owen386

Reefing newb
So I built and installed a new 20 gal sump for my 55gal and also picked up a used skimmer. Installed 2 days ago all good on the plumbing install/so and so fourth moved my HOB refugium contents to the new bigger refugium in the sump and turned it on went to bed. When I woke up all coral appear to be dead ammonia is through th roof! So after yesterday and today changing all sorts of water my ammonia is back to zero. What happened and are all my coral dead? They appeared to look a little better than they did yesterday.... But I don't know? Expect for my pretty good sized colony of pulsating Xenia which look complete beat. What do I do leave and hope for the best? Or remove and suck up the 100's of dollars I'm pissed! I don't know what to do help! Fish seem to be fine only 2 clowns snais are or where all moving slow when ammonia was at it's highest. What happened mini cycle?

-Owen

Sounds like you stirred up some :pooh: when you moved everything around.

I would keep an eye on things for the next few days. Your corals might just be ticked off. They could very well rebound.

Good luck, I always hate hearing stories like this.

used skimmer
did you clean the skimmer throughtly?
owen386 said:
moved my HOB refugium contents
what contents? im gonna guess moving items from an HOB would be like stirring up sand in your display ,a no-no becuse your stiriing up crap basically (im not completely sure but thats not good)
owen386 said:
ammonia is through th roof
you stirred up your HOB refugium maybe causing this
owen386 said:
So after yesterday and today changing all sorts of water my ammonia is back to zero
so they went through a shock of having the NH3 go way up the also go through a shock of having it swing back to normal? i dont think thats good what exactly did you do just water change?
owen386 said:
happened mini cycle?
im gonna guess yes

just keep an eye on your corals and watch out for those that releace toxins when they die

but for the most part leave it alone

did you clean the skimmer throughtly?

Yeah vinegar bath

what contents? im gonna guess moving items from an HOB would be like stirring up sand in your display ,a no-no becuse your stiriing up crap basically (im not completely sure but thats not good)

HOB aqua clear 110 turned fugue so verily little LR LS and some chaetto

i dont think thats good what exactly did you do just water change?

Yep multiple prob close to 80% volume over the course of two days and 5-6 10% changes

just keep an eye on your corals and watch out for those that releace toxins when they die

but for the most part leave it alone

Ok don't know which ones those are but doubt I have any I have torch,hammer,Xenia,mushrooms,cand cane,zoas that's it ( had)

Last edited:
Did you build your sump? If so did you use aquarium safe silicone?

I did yes and to my understanding I was using aquarium safe stuff from my researching and now I'm not that sure seen slot of ppl out there that have used it with no problem I used GE 100% SILCONE TYPE II

And how long should I leave in there? I just can't tell if they are dead or just sick as these are my first corals. All the zoas just look like they are reallllly closed up, the hammer is complete shriveled up exposing it's Skelton but remains color, torch is only sticking out like 1/4 inch from Skelton but retains color, Xenia looks like crap can only see it's Skelton no polyps. Just don't wanna yank them out if they have a chance, but also don't want to leave in to wrought and fowl my water! What do I do? I can provide pics although they will lack detail and might not help. Please help

-Owen

So through researchin a have found that silicone II during curing process releases ammonia. I think I might not have cured it long enough before use and releases high levels of ammonia into my tank. All levels are normal now and have been the last 24hrs so I'm just crossing my fingers my corals recover my CUC is more active now and my fish seem fine I will give tomorrow on the corals and then start smelling and tossing th ones I feel to be dead SUCKS very discouragin everything seemed to be doing so good the last few weeks.

-Owen

its all part of the learning process, better it happen now that a year into it with even more expensive fish and coral

Kind of off topic a bit, however I have a question. I also bought a used 15 gal HOB refugium for my 55gal tank from a guy from craigslist. He is trying to get rid of his 150gal tank and told me he was only running his sump (w/o) skimmer and with this regugium. I've had it on my tank for a week now. He couldn't give me the pump with it due to it down behind a large rock and will give it to me this friday. So I have used 2 small hoses and have a syphon water going from a reef octopus HOB skimmer into the fuge.

My question is there looks to be fish waste ontop of the sandbed. Another member suggested to leave it there to help with my 3 month old tank. Should i suck out as much as i can down to the sand? I know there are tiny coepods (sp) swimming all over the place in there?

how on earth would add more water cause an ammonia spike? You arent adding anything to the system that is going to decay and cause ammonia nor are you going to kill off enough of anything by adding new water to cause ammonia.

Something nobody has mentioned yet: A substantial increase in water volume WILL cause a ammonia spike.

I have never heard of this ever o.O
that.would mean that if you ever do a big water change you would go into a cycle spiking your ammonia

Last edited:
Something nobody has mentioned yet: A substantial increase in water volume WILL cause a ammonia spike.

I'm curious as well about this. How does it cause a spike? I'm adding about 30 gallons of water to my overall tank volume and I've been adding about 5g a day at this point. I didn't even think to test for ammonia.

I never heard of this either, and never has it affect me or anyone i know! :?
+1 Amber
Maybe its just because you kick up alot of poop if you dont pour it in slowly??

Back