New Tank, New questions..

Paste

I'm on a boat!
So... where to start.
Someone is giving me an older 100g tank that has a minor leak. I am going to attempt to reseal it because at the low cost of Free I dont mind a little work and from everything I read its pretty easy.

Let me just jot this down to make sure I am correct

1 Razor off all the silicon on the inside cleaning with alcohol and leaving no dust
2 Tape off sides with painters tape
3 run bead of 100% pure no filler silicon
4 spread (cant think of proper term but run finger along) the bead
5 remove tape before silicon has a chance to even think about drying
6 let dry couple days
7 clean and done

that is the 1st thing... pretty sure I got that but any advice would be cool

PART 2
I will be transferring my 55 over to this 100...
fortunately all that I have is LR, Sand and a snowflake eel. If I take my 70 or so lbs of live rock, new sand will I need to let it cycle again?
I dont think so personaly... I figure I can take sand, half the live rock and 30 or so gallons of water and let the sand settle, then move over the existing 55 gallons of water and remaining LR (and EEL) then top off slowly right? Maybe?

Sounds like a plan on part 1 and pretty much how I did it.

Part 2--- I disagree that the tank will cycle again---IF you are using existing live rock and water from your running 55g and new sand.
Now if you use the existing sand in your 55g that could create some nitrates especially if you don't rinse it before putting it in the 100g.
Anytime I ever filled a new tank with existing stuff from another running tank I always used new sand just to eliminate all that nasty that gets stirred up.

when I moved everything over to my 45 from my corner tank last September I used new sand and didnt even have a mini cycle. I was looking for it but it never happened. Prepare for a cycle but I dont think you will have much of one if you use new sand.

Back