New Tank Over Head?

owen386

Reefing newb
Hey All,

Alright I am brand new to This hobby only ever kept FW fish. Quick question is an over head just a submersible pump? Because I recently bought some equipment off someone and included was a pump can i use that as an overhead thanks

-Owen

Thanks So muchs that is exactly what I thought. and yes I meant Power Heads. So right now its just the pump i put it completly under water close to the top of the tank though, just every power head I have seen (pics) looks as the water flows into the tank i just have mine flowing through the pump and creating current in the tank. Do i just need to buy some pvc or whatever connection to bring the water partially above the tank as it can splash back into the water creating aeration or is it fine as is. Currently only have HOB filter, will be purchasing protein skimmer in the future.

Nope, you don't need to have it make a waterfall effect. The skimmer will aerate it just fine.

Get rid of the HOB filter - they are old and considered more or less obsolete. Having a good quantity of live rock and sand will provide adequate filtration provided you have good flow - I'd definitely recommend getting another powerhead to really move the water around. The goal is to try to keep stuff in suspension long enough to get picked up by the skimmer and not to let it settle to the ground and rot.

A good skimmer is a great place to start, and a bad place to try to skimp on money too much. That being said, the Octopus brand isn't bad, and is a lot of bang for the buck.

Now as I do more research I don`t know if its HOB filter as much as like A HOB reservoir?? very confused LOL it looks like a Huge version of the HOB filter i use on my FW tank expect the resvoir is atlest 1 gallon and theres no slot for carbon pads just a screen about 1" off the bottom, the pump on one side seperated and then open space where there sits bio balls and a loose carbon pad left buy previouslly owner(kept wet) was currently running for a year with fish in it when i bought it 2 days ago. ???

-Owen

iI'd get rid of the bioballs - the HOB reservoir thingie (take a pic!) might make a good refugium if you put a light over it & put in a small powerhead to grow macroalgae as a filter.

Do you plan on keeping corals?

Are you in Boston or the suburbs? I'm originally from Framingham.

I thought this thread was about the COST of having a tank!

I dont think anyone here wants to divulge what kind of money they have in thier tank!

iI'd get rid of the bioballs - the HOB reservoir thingie (take a pic!) might make a good refugium if you put a light over it & put in a small powerhead to grow macroalgae as a filter.

Do you plan on keeping corals?

Are you in Boston or the suburbs? I'm originally from Framingham.

I do plan on keeping corals yes, I know I have a long way ahead of me a realize this. aquar clea 110 HOB filter is what it is I was actually thinking of turning it into one of these: https://www.livingreefs.com/mega-powerful-nitrate-and-phosphate-remover-diy-t16734.html that along with a nice protein skimmer, 65lbs. live rock and a few power heads I should be sitting pretty for easy coral right? Yeah right out side Boston; Allston

You are the only person i have ever known that has had an issue with those lights. I recommend them because they are good lights, and are just what many people are looking for.

Just because you have had one bad experience im not going to switch over and recommend your lights that i have heard little to nothing about. You are more than welcome to refer your preferred brand, and im going to refer mine.

Back