"New" Tank, part deux

Axegod

Axegod
OK..last tank, 45G, RIP. It didn't even get set up. Tank, meet driveway, driveway, Tank...uhg.

I am getting a used one, 90 gallon - 1 year old, great solid stand, HOB skimmer, powerheads, heater, timer, coralife 48" light, and 50-100 lbs of live rock...some test stuff...3 bills, all in. :Cheers:

Wish me better luck.

I should pick this up this by the weekend.

I am not sure about skimmer that comes with it...but that can be upgraded down the road...along with adding a sump. But it meets all needs, including budget. Maybe I can get a RO/DI unit on the side as well before starting....

Cheers

Thanks,

I will get it on the weekend, and then cycle the rocks,...over which time I plan on reading to figure out what corals/fish I want and make sure everything is durable and compatable short/long term.

Cheers

Sounds good! My only recommendation would be that if you want a sump at some point, add it now! For whatever reason, I've found it really hard to find a decent sized sump to fit under the stand of my 90 because the inside of the stand just isn't quite wide enough to fit most standard sized aquariums that I could use as a sump. I finally went with a 20 high, but I had to hire someone to take my stand apart to fit it in since I added water before getting the sump. My sump has been one of the biggest sources of stress for me with this tank and I'm still not happy with it! So, since you are also getting a 90g, I'd recommend dealing with the sump issue before you add water :)

Sounds good! My only recommendation would be that if you want a sump at some point, add it now! For whatever reason, I've found it really hard to find a decent sized sump to fit under the stand of my 90 because the inside of the stand just isn't quite wide enough to fit most standard sized aquariums that I could use as a sump. I finally went with a 20 high, but I had to hire someone to take my stand apart to fit it in since I added water before getting the sump. My sump has been one of the biggest sources of stress for me with this tank and I'm still not happy with it! So, since you are also getting a 90g, I'd recommend dealing with the sump issue before you add water :)

Thats a great point. I will have to wait and see what type of skimmer it has...and if it is one of the ones that can be converted to be HOB or in sump - or if in fact it is any good. I may then think about a sump - or make sure that it can be added later without too much hassle.

So, I got the tank....the tank itself is in great shape...no work needed. The stand, homemade, could use a coat of stain/sealer...but should be OK. It came with a coralife skimmer (125g?) and a coralife 48" light (one of the 4 moon LED not working - but the 4 tubes are OK ), thermometer, 300W heater, a couple of hydor powerheads, some canister filters, one and a half 160G pails of Instant Ocean salt, 110 lbs of big Fiji rock (about 60 lbs dry and 40 lbs wet from seller's tank) and a few other small items.
The tank is tempered, so I cannot drill. Looks like i will use the HOB set-up for a while, and possibly switch to a sump later on - making sure I leave enough space from the wall to accommodate this.
In general, I am quite happy with the $300 purchase. I don't plan on using the canisters and may sell them.
Now, I just gotta get a RO/DI and, contemplate the stand, start testing everything.

Cheers

Back