• midwestcustomaquariums.com

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Other --please list

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andersoned14

Reefing newb
So I am dreaming about a new tank!! Suprise:Cheers: Tell me what you think, where what any thing else I can look for. What I do know is the size...96"x18"x30" I have looked at glasscages.com, glass tank would weigh about 400 and midwestcustomaquariums.com, Acrylic would be about 250. This tank is going in the basement so it has to be lifted and lowered down stairs by hand. Would 400 be too much...I could get 10+ people if needed, but only so many can fit around the tank and down the stairs. Tell me what you think or what else I sould look at. Thanks

I personally just like glass.. Two of us carried my old 180 down in to my basement.. that was 96x18x24...a few people would make it ok to get there...:D

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of acrylic tanks, IMO they just scratch too easily. As far as companies go, I've read a lot of bad reviews about glasscages but, my LFS just got two custom tanks in from them and they were very nice. The construction looked solid, all the edges were polished, and the silicone job was very clean. If I ever get a custom tank made, I'll probably be using them.

I'm also going with glasscages...
My LFS also had a couple custom tanks from them, and like BL said, they looked very nice.
Plus acrylic seems like a pain.

Ed - I woudlnt go with Acrylic soley for the weight. I'll help you move it, and I'm pretty sure my parents have a few sets of those suction cup handles, so I dont think getting it down a flight of stairs will really be a big deal.

My tank is a standard 180, so I havent dealt with any of the custom aqauriums companies.

I've heard great things about Miracles Aquariums
I am also talking to these guys. They are out of Canada. Going to check there prices. Wondering if shipping is going to be a problem. They sent me a few pic of their tanks and they look good. Their web site is not as easy to follow as glasscages, but it will come down to price. I keep going back and forth I would hate the scratches but a pile of broken glass at the bottom of the stairs doesn't seem like fun either.:frustrat:

My sump is miracle. They are a very solid company. Most of the lfs' here use them for everything as well as the chain big als if you have heard of them. Solid product obviously haven't had to deal with the shipping :(

Two strong guys were able to move my glass 240. I don't think it would take 10 guys to move a 400, but it's always good to have extra hands available!

The only bad things I've heard about Glass Cages has to do with their warranty. Apparently they won't warranty their work as other companies do? I'd look into that before you order from them.

Back