new thing

bullitt21

Reefing newb
i have what looks like a aiptasha.but i cant find any pic on the net that look like it.it is clear with white stripes.i had a aiptasha in my sum so i took a torch to him and then looking around and found this one.the one i torched was brown.

one more ? i have a dead clam in my sump(came with rock rubble dead)in the opening of its mouth there are 2 small holes(size of a bb) and in one hole there are these 2 tenicals sticking out and there is always spider web like string coming from it.what is that thing?

it is a worm, the tenticles are its fishing rod (so to speak) and the mucous is the sticky string it sloughs off the tenticles to gather food and pull it back to it's body. they are harmless and a beneficial scavenger. it will reproduce and will not harm any other life form. not to worry about a few aptasia they are a part of the scheme.

I have to agree on this one, Pictures are a great way to see what someone else is talking about. Plus then it also lets everyone know what to look for if they have it in there tank, and then they can take care of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
in my opinion it is not a vermatid snall. they live in a calcareous coiled tube that has a small straight section their tenticles are minute and usually not very easy to see. they send out a mucus string to trap food. usually they do not adhere their tubes in a place where they do not have free access to more open water as their mucus string can be 2-3 or more inches long. I have many of both in my tank. he did I believe, say he seen tenticles.

i have what looks like a aiptasha.but i cant find any pic on the net that look like it.it is clear with white stripes.i had a aiptasha in my sum so i took a torch to him and then looking around and found this one.the one i torched was brown.

one more ? i have a dead clam in my sump(came with rock rubble dead)in the opening of its mouth there are 2 small holes(size of a bb) and in one hole there are these 2 tenicals sticking out and there is always spider web like string coming from it.what is that thing?

The second is a sessile snail,a vermetid is Harmless except when the cobwebs cover corals preventing them from opening.

Aiptasia can be white with stripes.To be certain,we will need a pic.

well I am not a kill it if you fear it kind of person.aiptasia have been prospering inreef tanks as long as there have been reef tanks. an aiptasia is not normaly a coral stinger, they can & often do move. they sting certain encroaching corals but not to the point of killing or deforming them. when you consider the amount of animals in our tanks that we are not aware of, ( those little things that come out of the bore holes in live rock, and come out of the sand at night. how about all of those bristle worms "scarry" but they do no harm to tank mates. one or two aiptasia in the sump is not worth a panic.

Back