New to corals

Hi everyone!
Ok, so I ordered my first corals, I have been dying to and I finally took the plunge. They should arrive tomorrow.
I got some Ricordea mushrooms, a Duncan, and something else, called LA Lakers. They were all labeled as easy and tolerant of cruddy lights (great for me!)
So. I get these things and what? Set them on the sand? Glue them on rocks? See how they do at different levels in the tank?
I just buy reg. super glue and pull the rock out, glue it and stick it back in the tank? Do you let it set out to dry?
I am clueless here...
As always, thanks for helping, I don't know anyone who is in the SW hobby so this forum is invaluable to me!

LA Lakers (besides being a bunch of douchebags) are zoanthids. Purple and Yellow.

In regard to where and how you put them in your tank, it depends on the specific coral.

Duncans for example, like flow..but not a ton of it. If they get too much flow, they won't open up all the way. You can place them on the rocks or sand.

Zoanthids, you can place pretty much anywhere some zoanthids like more light, some less.

My suggestion, since I don't know what type of lights you have in your tank. Place them all at the bottom of the tank (sand) and you can start to move them up the tank over a period of time as they get used to your tank lights, at that point you'll start to understand where they are the happiest, just by watching how they open up and expand.

I am excited to get some douchebag corals, sounds rare, now there's LPS, SPS, and SE, (Summer's Eve) Good stuff.
I have just the standard lights that come in a biocube. You can all boo now. It is what it is.

LOL!

I agree with PRC dont glue anything down until you figure out where they like to be. I try to put mine where I would LIKE to see them and if they dont open in a couple of days or I move them to less flow/more flow more or less light etc.

Once you figure out where they open up best and seem happiest get some super glue gel, I would recommend getting several tubes.

You will need to really glob it on the bottom of the coral I often use the whole tube on one (no need to remove your rocks.) then stick it where you want it to be and hold it in place for 30-60 seconds to give it time to set then you should be good to go.

I am excited to get some douchebag corals, sounds rare, now there's LPS, SPS, and SE, (Summer's Eve) Good stuff.
I have just the standard lights that come in a biocube. You can all boo now. It is what it is.

Actually you can get a few different lighting setups with biocubes. Do you have LED, metal halide or power compact lighting. If you have the power compact you are probably limited on the light intensive corals because that is the wimpiest of the lighting options.

And SE is not a type of coral ;) im not quite sure what you mean by that.

I agree with everyone else about placement, and to use super glue gel...congrats and welcome to the world of corals. :)

Actually you can get a few different lighting setups with biocubes. Do you have LED, metal halide or power compact lighting. If you have the power compact you are probably limited on the light intensive corals because that is the wimpiest of the lighting options.

And SE is not a type of coral ;) im not quite sure what you mean by that.

Douchebag....summers eve....SE..... LOL

Are you calling me a douchebag?

I get that SE stand for summer's eve, but i obviously dont get why that makes me a douchebag or whatever stupid joke is going on?

LOL!

You will need to really glob it on the bottom of the coral I often use the whole tube on one (no need to remove your rocks.) then stick it where you want it to be and hold it in place for 30-60 seconds to give it time to set then you should be good to go.

Thanks for the details Amber, very helpful...I would have never known to use a whole tube on one.
I will wait and see where they are happy at before I go glue crazy.
You put the glue on then stick the coral in the water and afix it to the rock, huh? I would have hauled rocks out and yadda yadda yadda...
So glad to talk to people with experience.

My lights....I didn't know the biocube came with other options, I guess I don't know what I have then. (what a SE I am) I just bought the biocube and plugged it in. I made sure to get the corals with the lowest light req...

Are you calling me a douchebag?

I get that SE stand for summer's eve, but i obviously dont get why that makes me a douchebag or whatever stupid joke is going on?

See in PRC's post, he said that the LA Lakers were douchebags (meaning the NBA team). I was just playing dumb and pretending that the LA Lakers coral were a type douchebag coral, like they were SE (summers eve) instead of SPS, etc...

Where are you in Ohio thats tropical??? LOL.

Just glue them down on the rocks and they should open up after a few hours. Dont forget to at least temperature acclimate the corals, maybe do a drip for 30 min or so, so they adjust to your water. Good luck! Pictures will be nice when you get them.

Where are you in Ohio thats tropical??? LOL.

Just glue them down on the rocks and they should open up after a few hours. Dont forget to at least temperature acclimate the corals, maybe do a drip for 30 min or so, so they adjust to your water. Good luck! Pictures will be nice when you get them.

Ah, Ohio, warm sea breezes, swaying palm trees...it's all so beautiful here :)
I live a bit outside of Akron. Nearby is the town of Medina, a car dealership there runs ads stating that they are located in "tropical Medina." It's so dumb I love it. Therefore; Tropical Ohio.
I will make sure to drip acclimate, I will be getting these tomorrow a.m. at work via fedex overnight so I'll run them home, drip, drip, drip, cram them in the tank and back to work I go....
Thanks for the well wishes. I will DEF post pics. A few weeks ago I was taking pics and my husband goes "WHAT are you going to do with those? You're taking pictures of rocks and one fish?" He just doesn't understand :)
I have tried to get him to catch SW fever but he just stares at me blankly when I talk and says things like "a towerhead? what did that cost?"

He'll catch on! Just get him involved in all the mechanical stuff... that's where my husband shines! He could care less about everything else.

Those are nice picks for your tank. My first corals were mushroom, zoanthus (no db's!) and a little duncan. My Duncan has gone from 3 to 20 + polyps in about a year! Your going to love them. I attached mine to a plug so I could move it around until I found the right spot.

Chill, little_fish. Nowhere did anyone call you a douchebag. Summer's Eve is a brand of douche.

Douche.jpg

Those are nice picks for your tank. My first corals were mushroom, zoanthus (no db's!) and a little duncan. My Duncan has gone from 3 to 20 + polyps in about a year! Your going to love them. I attached mine to a plug so I could move it around until I found the right spot.

Oh that is good to know. Thank you for the assurance. I read as much as I could on here cause I wanted to make sure I picked the right ones for my tank with my skill (or lack thereof!)
Everyone really talked up the Duncan so I'm excited to see how he does, I keep watching out the window for the fedex overnight guy!

Hmmmm....Should I put them in a dark tank so they acclimate to the water first, then put the lights on after a few hours or a day or what?

Good picture Bifferwine! Classic. Really does make me enoy being a woman.

Last edited:
Back