New to forum and saltwater

tritan

Reefing newb
Hey guys, finally got my opportunity to acquire a saltwater tank. I got the tank, stand, and plumbing for a steal! I wanted to join a community like this to learn and possibly seek help in the problems I am bound to run into.

For now I am trying to mimic what the previous owner was running to save some $$. I am trying to figure out what filtration system the previous owner was running and how he ran it. I'm hoping you guys can help me figure it out. It looks like he was running a berlin system but what confuses me is that he only had a non-baffled 15 gallon aquarium and a protein skimmer. I know he mentioned he was running a skimmer and live rock. Is it sufficient to have the overflow just drain to the bottom, skim, then get pumped right back up? I would think it would need at least 1 baffle to separate the dirty water coming in to the clean water going out. Let me know what you guys think.

Hello and Welcome!

You dont need a baffle to separate the dirty and clean water, but having the baffels will create an area of constant water hight, which you need for the scrubber to run correctly. It can also help keep bubble from ending back in the main tank.

I personally would put in at least one baffle in the sump

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely go ahead and throw in a baffle. My other questions are about the pumps that I am having a hard time finding information about. How many GPH should be pumped into the skimmer and how many should be as the return? This is the protein skimmer I will be using: Red Sea Berlin Classic Protein Skimmer It is rated for up to 250 gallons and going on my 110 gallon tank.

This is the type of overflow and return lines I have on each side:
images

This was on the website. Red Sea Berlin skimmer requires pump. Rio 2500 or Rio 3100 is recommended for in sump setup. Little Giant 3MDQ-SC or Iwaki 30RLT pump is recommend for for external setup. Overall height is 21". I've got a rio 2500 for my return line.

Back