new to sight

Ftf

Reefing newb
Hello everyone, new to the site .I have had my tank for 5 yrs .going good except for a sudden out break of dirty stringy: cobweb like alge with lots of tiny bubbles. Can anyone help!!!

Hi and welcome to the site!! Is the algae brownish or purpleish? If it's brown, it sounds like dinoflagellates. If it's purple-red, it sounds like red slime algae.

how about a little bit of both what to do about. more brown on rocks and on sand bed. i have done a 15 gl water change 2 days ago got a lot of it out, all came right back today.

sounds like cyano algae, it comes back overnight, literally.

How much flow do you have? What kind of water do you use? Filters could be old....

Change anything recently?

hello parrotchute , i have one maxjet 1200 with a upgrade kit about 2400gph on the back wall mj1200 along the front canster filter about 220gph. i use only RO water from my reef store,put a new kind of polishing pad in the canster about 2 weeks ago just noticed a bad smell on my arm when i take it out of the water .what do you thing about that.

yeah when i had cyano algae it smelled really bad.
What I ended up doing was putting in a refugium with lots of macroalgae and raising my pH to 8.4 and that helped a lot.

Back