New to the forums

F16Freek

Reefing newb
Hello everyone,

I joined several months ago and wanted to cast off my lurker status. My name is Andrew and I've got two tanks, one 36 gallon bow front currently housing a couple of orandas and a couple of fan tails and a 55 gallon reef tank. I've been reading the forums off and on for a while now and of the forums I've been checking out, these seem to be the most friendly and knowledgeable so I figured I'd attempt to join the community.

the marine sat is a bacteria culture that out competes the hair alage(completely reef safe). and as for the urchin i use to have on in my old tank and never had problems but never put one in my new tank because i like the coraline better.

The SAT does great on hair algae.But you still need to figure out where its nutrients are coming from.Phosphates and nitrates fuel the green hell.
Cut back on the lights and remove as much of the algae as you can.When algae die,they release the nutrients they have stored right back into your water.

After reading several threads I've got a few ideas of where the nutrients are coming from...

First I've got a 1/2 & 1/2 crushed coral/sand bed... As I've read crushed coral is for the loss...
Second, I've got a canister filter running all the time. I clean it once every week or 2 and its pretty full of nasty by then, so I can imagine what its dumping back into the tank.
Thirdly, I've got bio-balls in my wet/dry sump and I have cleaned them once since I had the tank set up. I didn't realize you needed to clean them... thought they were the main source of filtration.

I've already throttled back my Halides by a lot, and my actinics by a little. I've also added five mangroves I found for a good price on ebay. I think/hope they will help, but they've been in there less than a week and I would guess it's going to take a little bit longer than that to start showing.

I can't afford to change my bed now, and will prob wait till I upgrade my tank... But I'm going to yank the canister off the system and rinse the bio balls off when I get home.

Welcome to the site!

It's not really recommended to clean the bioballs all at once.Try rinsing 1/3 bioballs a week apart.BTW,if you have plenty of live rock(One lb. a gallon or more),you can actually just remove 1/2-1/3 each week til there is none.

I've got the same problems. Try lowering the amount of time your tank is exposed to your lights. I just try to hand remove or toothbrush remove most of the hair algae which lasts about a week then starts growing back. I'm hoping as my tank matures it will naturally fight things off better.

Back