New to the hobby.

crazymman

Reefing newb
My name is Mike. I am basically brand new to the saltwater hobby. Any helpful tips or advice would be great. I bought a used setup from a guy. It had been sitting for a while and ive just finished getting it cleaned up and running again.Its a 55 gal tank with about 60 pounds of live rock, a oddysea t5 light system and a coralife protein skimmer. Just got it all setup and running tonight and am kinda lost on what to do next like with the cycling process and stuff like that. Any advice?

Hello and welcome! You've come to the right place.

First you need to buy some test kits, if you haven't already. You will need a refractomer or hydrometer to measure salinity (refractometers are very much preferred), and test kits for pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Then you will need to add something in the tank to start a cycle -- a piece of raw shrimp from the grocery store is ideal. Just drop it in the tank and let it rot. Never cycle using a live fish.

Then test your water every few days. You'll start to see ammonia rise, then nitrites. Then ammonia and nitrites will drop as nitrates rise. When ammonia and nitrites are both at zero, the tank has finished cycling. Do a water change to get the nitrates down to less than 20 (the closer to zero the better) and then you are set to add your first fish and clean up crew!

Be sure to only add one fish every 3 or 4 weeks. Or two at a time, if you buy a pair of the same species. Adding too many fish too fast is a surefire way to crash your tank.

Edited for ninja'd by Biff

Hi, welcome to the site. Lots of experienced reefers here more than happy to help.

By the way, how long was the rock sitting, was it sitting in salt water or dry?

The guy i got it from said it was sitting in the water but it wasnt running. I got it last night and it set on my table until this afternoon when i got the tank and water all setup. Now its back in the tank.

Back