new to the salty world

planbtypea

Reefing newb
New to the saltwater world but not to aquariums in general, have a 20g freshwater live plant tank that's been up for 2+ years now. I just got ahold of a 135g/40g mud sump, complete established setup. Posting this here to see how many mistakes I've made so far...:frustrat:

It's 4-5 years old but recently had an ammonia/algae outbreak due to an extended power outrage. Another friend took the remaining corals (on about 10 lbs live rock), handful of crabs, and the few fish. I ended up with a 2-3 inch sand bed, about 50 lbs live rock, 60+ of "old " tank water, handful of crabs and snails, sump, pumps, skimmer, power heads heater, and lights (3x T5HO and LED lunar).

So, got the tank home, just placed everything into the tank (made sure the sump had enough water to keep it covered) and went to bed. Next morning went and bought salt, prime, bacteria supplement... Made 2 50g barrels of salt mix, left the in the sun outside (live in SoCal and it was about 70 outside) with heaters, air pumps and power heads for about 6 hours. Checked the salinity was within limits, little bit higher than "old"tank water. Pumped it into tank started everything up. It was recommended to me NOT to run skimmer for a day our two so i left it off. Next morning is when i discovered the crabs and snails in the tank. Letting it run as-is through the weekend with light on 10 hours a day, lunar LED for 3 hours after lights out and 1 hour before lights on. Will test water on Monday, I'm a paramedic and on duty till then.

I know i need more rock, probably will go with dry. And advise/criticism welcomed.

Welcome to the forum. If I am reading this right you moved over the established sand bed and the sump with mud (i am hoping its miracle mud and not a 6 in deep sand bed in there) You are probably going to get a pretty good sized ammonia spike. Be prepared for it. I like prime conditioner in certain uses, like this big ammonia spike you will probably see. On the side of the bottle there are directions for in tank use in a emergency keep that prime handy for if that happens. Now if you are using it to condition tap water...thats where I am not a big fan of prime. Not because of the prime but because of the tap water. You really need to be using RO/DI water. You want the water you use to make salt and top off the tank to be 0 on a TDS meter. (thats total dissolved solids) The only way to get a 0 on a tds is to use a RO/DI filter. Either buy one or buy the water at a fish store. Right now you are just going to have to wait and see what happens with the tank. If you get that spike use the prime it should help save the crabs lives. Either way let the tank run for a week or two and just watch and test. Once you get the ammonia and nitrate to 0 you will be out of the woods then its water change time and will probably need a cuc. Its a great money saver to use dry rock for you additional needs. This is a good place to get quality dry rock at a good price. MarcoRocks Aquarium Products

Looking at adding probably 100 lbs of rock to the setup. If i go dry rock (price is nicer than LR) how long should i let it seed from the current LR before i add livestock? Any problems with adding different LR to what i have?

What's the opinion on carbon/purigen/phosbate reactors?

If you add it before the take cycles, I would just wait until the cycle is done like normal, otherwise no need to wait.

Remember, only add one or two fish a month, and the rule for stocking is 1 fish for every 10 gals

if your sand bed is stirred up or your not in a hurry you could run your skimmers and mechanical filter to get all the bad shi...crap out of there. only if your not in a big hurry.

Back