new to this

thenry

Reefing newb
I recently bought a 44 gallon used saltwater tank with all the fish. They all lived through the 42 mile transport. I was very surprised to see there were over 15 beautiful fish in this aquarium. There are hermit crabs large and small. two of each. I went to our Petco store to see what was there and fell in love with the live plants. I want to get some for the bottom of the tank and the guy there told me I needed a protein skimmer. THis is a corner unit tank and is beautiful. I have been doing research and am ready to purchase a skimmer. I wanted to know if it is okay to get these beautiful plants, some look like a carpet.... with the hermet crabs and snails??? Will it be okay and they won't harm the plants.

Are these freshwater plants? If so they wont last very long in the saltwater tank. There are plants that grow in salt, but they usually take over the tank.

15 is far far too many fish to have in a 44 gallon, you should consider taking some to the store for credit.

Besides that best of luck and welcome to the forum.

Well maybe I said the wrong thing. I mean all those "jelly like" things that lay on the bottom of the aquarium like carpet. I am not sure what you call them? They also live on live rock. All saltwater things for my saltwater tank.

Dear Lord... Those are called Anemones "nemes" for short. You are either seeing that, or some sort of coral (most likely nemes). I might also say in the least manner in which offends you that you have done far to little research to be considering a buy into them.

Welcome to the site...I'd hold of buying anything live for the tank until everything settles from the move. Usually petco doesn't carry saltwater plants, so it may not be compatible. If you can, get the actual name of the plant, or a picture so we can identity it for you. I agree that 15 fish is a lot of fish for that size tank, what type of fish do you have in there? And I wouldn't buy a protein skimmer from petco, they're usually garbage and you'll end up replacing it soon. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions.

Dear Lord... Those are called Anemones "nemes" for short. You are either seeing that, or some sort of coral (most likely nemes). I might also say in the least manner in which offends you that you have done far to little research to be considering a buy into them.
cathic is right.. you need WAY more research if you want new things. that or you will end up killing everything you have in the tank if you dont know what your doing. welcome to the site....good thing to cuz from the sound of it you need a lil help with the correct information

Welcome to the site! I'd hold off adding anything to this tank. Check out liveaquaria.com and see what fish you have and let us kow. Some get very, very big and will get stressed in the size tank that you have. It's best to sell or trade these fish so you can easilly keep your water levels stable and your inhabitants happy. A 44 gallon tank should only have 4-6 fish. I have 8 fish in my 60 gallon for example.

Back