New zoos

Dantitan

Reefing newb
I plan on getting some zoos tommorow. The piece has 4 or 5 oysters on it also. They are a nice piece. The only problem that I may have is my KH. Here are my parameters:

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrates - 0ppm
Nitrites - 0ppm
PH - 8.3
Phosphates - 0.0ppm
Calcium - 440
KH - 15 :grumble:

I know that my KH needs to be between 8-12. I tested earlier today and then read a post by BL1 about Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems. I then tested my calcium and it was only at 360. The article said to raise the calcium and the alk will drop eventually. My question is: :question: Do I need to wait until the KH drops to suitable levels or is it not high enough to make that big of a difference? :question:

My ALk went up to 15 dkh by mine own mistake:shock:. Two days later it was at 12. I was told while 15 is high it wont hurt anything. How do your fish and corals look ? Mine didn't seem to notice. Keep in mind Im new at this. I would just drip your coral longer and slower:twocents:

That should be plenty. Some people drip some float some just stick them in the tank some fresh water dip them first. I have done all and I cant really tell one from the other. With the exception of the fresh water dip to rid any pests. Although I am starting to feel out of my comfort zone in giving further advice as I am still learning too.

As far as acclimating with corals, that really is personal preference. I personally don't drip or float my corals when I get them, they go right into my tank.

A higher DKH dont seem to effect soft corals like it does stonies.15 shouldnt bother zoas at all.
For acclimation.I just acclimate all my new stuff until the salinity in the bag matches my tank.

Thanks, Biff. I have them acclimating right now, along with another Ocelaris Clown. Got about another 40 minutes. :smile:

It looks like their are two or three different types of zoas on this piece. Can anyone ID them for me. The LFS wasn't sure.

WEB1.jpg

WEB2.jpg

WEB3.jpg

WEB4.jpg

Here is the new Ocelaris Clown that I got for my wife. (she still calls him Nemo)
ZOAS 010.JPG

Naming zoas is like naming strands of marijuana. Only the really popular and expensive zoa's get named and naming them can often be controversial territory. You can go to zoaid.com and look through pages of zoa's if your determined on finding out a name but ,although beautiful, they just look like generic green zoas to me. I wouldn't worry to much about acclimation and such with zoa's they are hardy as hell. Congrats on the pick ups that's a huge colony and looks great in your tank.

Back