Newb Questions

Tango

Reefing newb
Ok.

I did it. After months of researching I bought a tank!

Now I'm in panic mode worrying about so many little things I didn't research about and can't find answers

Salinity is my first question. If it drops how to I make it go back up? Will it drop? Why would it drop? How do I decrease it if there is a method to increase it?

If I buy "cured" live rock, do I still cycle to tank? Will there still be an ammonia spike?

Is base rock a good idea to mix in with live rock? I read someone post about their base rock is the only rock that got brown algae.

What should I test for in a FOWLR tank? I know reefs have more things to look out for, but what levels do I need to look out for in a FOWLR? I know ammonia, salinity, temp, nitrates and nitrites. Anything else? Can I measure oxygen levels?

Can I cover the top of the tank with plexiglass or is this a no no?

Anything I need to know before I paint the back of the glass? any specific instructions or just paint away?

Thanks in advance for answers. I know you guys are the best and I am just in panic mode right now. I thought I had all the basis covered.

1. if it drops, add more saltwater with a higher salinity. keep it around 1.024-1.025. it can drop when you top off evaporation with fresh water depending on if you add to much fresh water. its a balance of salt and fresh water to keep in in range.

2. yes, cured live rock will still go through a cycle and every cycle has an ammonia spike, some higher than others.

3. base rock added to live rock will eventually become live as the bacteria from the live rock will spread to the base rock. it becomes seeded

4. FOWLR you should test for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and PH. if you decide to go with a reef setup, youll need to test magnesium, calcium, and alkalinity.

5. i wouldnt cover the top, salt creep will ruin and block out light from your light fixture and could cause other problems. its a no no in reef tanks for sure

6. when you paint the tank, make sure to mask off the top of the tank so you dont get any overspray in the tank. krylon fusion spray paint for plastic works best on glass. some people use sand paper on the glass to give it a nice surface to adhere too.

You Rock and Roll buddy! Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

Also one more question

Lets say 2 months from now I got a few fish in there everything is perfect, but I don't like my aquascaping.

Can I add some more base rock? Will this harm the fish because it goes through a cycle again, or does it not go through a cycle?

Same with live rock. Can I add live rock after a few months or will that cause another ammonia spike?

if you want to add some rock later I would really add the dry rock, rinse it off and just put it in and no worries about causing a mini cycle.. I put some live in and it caused a cycle a few years ago, now I just use dry when adding extra

Just add dry and base rock in the future, the live rock you have will convert the dry rock into live. Redoing your aquascape is fine down the road just try not to stir up the sand when you do it as the sand houses bacteria as well

Back