Newbee....

VitoO

Reefing newb
Looking at setting you a new reef tank and looking for some input on location and shape of tank. Currently looking at a 150 gallon acrylic cylinder.
1. Is acrylic a good choice?
2. Cylinder shape ok for reef and fish?
3. Location, looking at putting in front of large bay window.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

I'm not a fan of acrylic tanks for SW, they scratch pretty easily especially with the sand in our tanks.

Cylinders are ok but are extremely difficult to aquascape, also they restrict some of your fish choices you'd have if you just chose a normal rectangular tank.

Putting your tank directly in front of a window like that could cause lots of problems with nuisance algae from the direct sunlight. Most of us try to keep our tanks away from windows for that reason.

And also, welcome to the site!

Welcome aboard!
+1 BL1. I like glass tanks for the scratch resistance. What kind of fish are you wanting? If you want any kind of tang, you should go for at least a six foot long tank.

Hello and Welcome!

The cylindrical tanks also make some people sick to look at them, so you should make sure you and anyone else who will be around the tank frequently can stand to look at a full cylindrical tank.

Hello, I agree -- I wouldn't go with acrylic. It will be scratched so easily and so quickly. Once algae grows in those scratches, it will look like you have big brown lines all over the tank.

I also agree about not putting it in front of a window. Tanks should be kept away from natural sunlight to avoid algae problems.

Back